Generalized Hyperbolic Distributions: Empirical Evidence on Bucharest Stock Exchange
Onfive of the most liquid and important equities of the Romanian stock market together with the market index is investigated the fit of the generalized hyperbolic distributions. The parameters of the hyperbolic distribution, Variance- Gamma, Normal Inverse Gaussian, skewed t Student and generalized hyperbolic are estimated using the maximum likelihood estimation. The goodness-of-fit measures used to assess the fitofeachdistribution are the Kolmogorov- Smirnov distance, Akaike information criteria and the log- likelihood. Plots are also inspected. The Variance- Gamma distribution was ruled out by the Kolmogorov- Smirnov test. After inspecting the plots, a good approximation of the data was given by the Normal Inverse Gaussian distribution and the generalized hyperbolic, but based on the goodness-of-fit measures, the generalized hyperbolic distribution yield to be the best fit.
Volume (Year): 07 (2015)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Strada Mihai Eminescu nr.13-15, sector 1, Bucuresti, Romania|
Web page: http://www.fin.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1994.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(3), pages 705-730, August.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation," RCER Working Papers 322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's GARCH models with time-varying t-densities," Statistical Software Components RTZ00086, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kjersti Aas & Ingrid Hobaek Haff, 2006. "The Generalized Hyperbolic Skew Student's t-Distribution," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(2), pages 275-309.
- José Fajardo & Aquiles Farias, 2002. "Generalized Hyperbolic Distributions and Brazilian Data," Working Papers Series 52, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Fajardo, J. & Farias, A., 2003. "Generalized Hyperbolic Distributions and Brazilian Data," Finance Lab Working Papers flwp_57, Finance Lab, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Dilip B. Madan & Frank Milne, 1991. "Option Pricing With V. G. Martingale Components," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(4), pages 39-55.
- Frank Milne & Dilip Madan, 1991. "Option Pricing With V. G. Martingale Components," Working Papers 1159, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Oguzhan Cepni & Ahmet Goncu & Mehmet Oguz Karahan & Tolga Umut Kuzubas, 2013. "Goodness-of-fit of the Heston, Variance-Gamma and Normal-Inverse Gaussian Models," Working Papers 2013/16, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- repec:sbe:breart:v:24:y:2004:i:2:a:2712 is not listed on IDEAS
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394-394.
- Karlis, Dimitris, 2002. "An EM type algorithm for maximum likelihood estimation of the normal-inverse Gaussian distribution," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 43-52, March.
- Andreas Behr & Ulrich Pötter, 2009. "Alternatives to the normal model of stock returns: Gaussian mixture, generalised logF and generalised hyperbolic models," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 49-68, January.
- Madan, Dilip B & Seneta, Eugene, 1990. "The Variance Gamma (V.G.) Model for Share Market Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 511-524, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rfb:journl:v:07:y:2015:i:1:p:007-018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatu Lucian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.