A provisioning problem with stochastic payments
We consider the problem of determining the minimal requirement one must establish in order to meet a series of future random payments. It is shown in a very general setting that this problem can be recast as a chance constrained model and how the technique of Sample Average Approximation can be employed to find solutions. We also use comonotonic theory to analyze analytical approximations in a restricted Gaussian setting. Our numerical illustrations demonstrate that the Sample Average Approximation is a viable and efficient way to solve the stated problem generally and outperforms the analytical approximations. In passing we present a result that is related to Stein’s famous lemma (Stein, 1981) and is of interest in itself.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Hürlimann, Werner, 2010. "Analytical Pricing of the Unit-Linked Endowment with Guarantees and Periodic Premiums," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(02), pages 631-653, November.
- Dilip B. Madan & Frank Milne, 1991.
"Option Pricing With V. G. Martingale Components,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(4), pages 39-55.
- Kaas, Rob & Dhaene, Jan & Goovaerts, Marc J., 2000. "Upper and lower bounds for sums of random variables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 151-168, October.
- Dupacova, Jitka & Gaivoronski, Alexei & Kos, Zdenek & Szantai, Tamas, 1991. "Stochastic programming in water management: A case study and a comparison of solution techniques," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 28-44, May.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Kampas, Athanasios & White, Ben, 2003. "Probabilistic programming for nitrate pollution control: Comparing different probabilistic constraint approximations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 217-228, May.
- Vanduffel, Steven & Shang, Zhaoning & Henrard, Luc & Dhaene, Jan & Valdez, Emiliano A., 2008. "Analytic bounds and approximations for annuities and Asian options," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1109-1117, June.
- J. Dhaene & S. Vanduffel & M. J. Goovaerts & R. Kaas & D. Vyncke, 2005. "Comonotonic Approximations for Optimal Portfolio Selection Problems," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(2), pages 253-300.
- Vanduffel, S. & Dhaene, J. & Goovaerts, M. & Kaas, R., 2003. "The hurdle-race problem," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 405-413, October.
- Abdelaziz, Fouad Ben & Aouni, Belaid & Fayedh, Rimeh El, 2007. "Multi-objective stochastic programming for portfolio selection," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1811-1823, March.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & G. H. Symonds, 1958. "Cost Horizons and Certainty Equivalents: An Approach to Stochastic Programming of Heating Oil," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(3), pages 235-263, April.
- Cesari, Riccardo & Cremonini, David, 2003. "Benchmarking, portfolio insurance and technical analysis: a Monte Carlo comparison of dynamic strategies of asset allocation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 987-1011, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:221:y:2012:i:2:p:445-453. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.