Los fundamentos morales de la economía: una relectura del problema de Adam Smith
This paper offers a reinterpretation of “Adam Smith’s problem” and reconsiders the relation between ethics and economics. It makes a critical revision of the attempts that seek to solve this problem, proposes an alternative framework constructed on the Smithian concepts of sympathy and the impartial spectator, and shows that morality understood as an extension of sympathy relations, constitutes a precondition for the market existence. The analysis clarifies that morality is the base of the economic system and, at the same time, the economic system limits morality.
Volume (Year): 9 (2007)
Issue (Month): 16 (January-June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1307
Fax: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1304
Web page: http://www.economiainstitucional.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elias L. Khalil, 2001.
"Adam Smith and Three Theories of Altruism,"
Recherches économiques de Louvain,
De Boeck Université, vol. 67(4), pages 421-435.
- Elias L. KHALIL, 2001. "Adam Smith and Three Theories of Altruism," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2001044, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Becker, Gary S, 1981. "Altruism in the Family and Selfishness in the Market Place," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 48(189), pages 1-15, February.
- David Sally, 2002. "Two Economic Applications of Sympathy," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 455-487, October.
- Cory, Gerald Jr., 2006. "A behavioral model of the dual motive approach to behavioral economics and social exchange," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 592-612, August.
- Sally, David, 2001. "On sympathy and games," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-30, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rei:ecoins:v:9:y:2007:i:16:p:63-87. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paola Rodríguez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.