An application of business cycle accounting with misspecified wedges
It is often assumed that wedges evolve according to VAR(1) in the applications of business cycle accounting (BCA). However, recent research finds that the wedges have no VAR(1) representation in many dynamic stochastic general equilibrium (DSGE) economies, and that there might be a misspecification of the stochastic process of wedges. In order to assess the empirical usefulness of BCA, we apply BCA to a widely used medium-scale DSGE economy. Based on our experiments, we find that the accuracy of the measurement of wedges is high enough to capture the business cycle implications of wedges. (Copyright: Elsevier)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Marina Azzimonti, Department of Economics, Stonybrook University, 10 Nicolls Road, Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/red/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.economicdynamics.org/subscription-information/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kobayashi, Keiichiro & Inaba, Masaru, 2006.
"Business cycle accounting for the Japanese economy,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 418-440, December.
- Keiichiro Kobayashi & Masaru Inaba, 2006. "Business cycle accounting for the Japanese economy," 2006 Meeting Papers 313, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Keiichiro Kobayashi & Masaru Inaba, 2005. "Business Cycle Accounting for the Japanese Economy," Discussion papers 05023, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Otsu Keisuke, 2010.
"A Neoclassical Analysis of the Asian Crisis: Business Cycle Accounting for a Small Open Economy,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-39, July.
- Keisuke Otsu, 2007. "A Neoclassical Analysis of the Asian Crisis: Business Cycle Accounting of a Small Open Economy," IMES Discussion Paper Series 07-E-16, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- NUTAHARA Kengo & INABA Masaru, 2008. "On Equivalence Results in Business Cycle Accounting," Discussion papers 08015, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2007.
"Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles : a Bayesian DSGE Approach,"
Working Paper Research
109, National Bank of Belgium.
- Frank Smets & Rafael Wouters, 2007. "Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles: A Bayesian DSGE Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 586-606, June.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Rafael, 2007. "Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles: A Bayesian DSGE Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 6112, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Raf, 2007. "Shocks and frictions in US business cycles: a Bayesian DSGE approach," Working Paper Series 0722, European Central Bank.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2007.
"Business Cycle Accounting,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(3), pages 781-836, 05.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2002. "Business cycle accounting," Working Papers 625, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- V.V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen McGrattan, 2004. "Business Cycle Accounting," NBER Working Papers 10351, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2006. "Business cycle accounting," Staff Report 328, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick Kehoe & Ellen McGrattan, 2004. "Business Cycle Accounting," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000560, UCLA Department of Economics.
- V V Chari & Patrick J Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2003. "Business Cycle Accounting," Levine's Bibliography 506439000000000421, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Gregor Baeurle & Daniel Burren, 2007. "A Note on Business Cycle Accounting," Diskussionsschriften dp0705, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2003.
"Accounting for the Great Depression,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 2-8.
- Erasmus Kristoffer Kersting, 2008. "The 1980s Recession in the UK: A Business Cycle Accounting Perspective," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(1), pages 179-191, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:issued:08-173. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.