In Search Of Empirical Content – The Austrian Way To Go Beyond Pure Theory
The Austrian School has always represented a leading approach in social sciences emphasizing the power of logical deduction and key importance of pure theory. The lack of empirical content, however, often prevented the acknowledgement of correct theoretical and policy conclusions by fellow economists. This paper introduces the concept of analytical narrative and argues that this approach developed by Peter Boettke and his followers from the Virginia branch of the Austrian School can enrich the pure theory by empirical content without compromising the power of the Austria explanation.
Volume (Year): 7 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bd.Expozitiei 1B, Bucuresti, Sector 1, Etaj 3, 012101|
Web page: http://www.rau.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter T. Leeson, 2007. "Trading with Bandits," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50, pages 303-321.
- Robert J. Barro, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-443.
- Robert J. Barro, 1989. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Coase, R. H., 1990. "The Firm, the Market, and the Law," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226111018.
- Scott A. Beaulier & J. Robert Subrick, 2007. "Limited Government and Economic Growth in Botswana," Journal of Private Enterprise, The Association of Private Enterprise Education, vol. 23(Fall 2007), pages 52-66.
- Robert H. Bates & Avner Greif & Margaret Levi & Jean-Laurent Rosenthal, 1998. "Analytic Narratives," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 6355.
- Peter T. Leeson, 2010. "The Political Economy of Peter Boettke," Journal of Private Enterprise, The Association of Private Enterprise Education, vol. 26(Fall 2010), pages 47-55.
- Peter T. Leeson, 2006. "Self-Enforcing Arrangements and Heterogeneous Groups," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(4), pages 891-907, October.
- Stringham, Edward & Boettke, Peter & Clark, J.R., 2008. "Are regulations the answer for emerging stock markets? Evidence from the Czech Republic and Poland," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 541-566, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rau:journl:v:7:y:2012:i:1:p:50-59. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alex Tabusca)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.