Large Firms and Southern Italy: The Relevance of Salvatore Cafiero’s Position
In this paper we argue that large firms can still play a significant role in the development of Southern Italy. It is an argument that had already been advanced by the Neo-Meridionalistiin the ’50s and ’60s and that was also upheld by Salvatore Cafiero, even in the new background of ideas and policies. In support of this stance, two aspects are discussed in the paper: the production of supply externalities in areas dominated by the large firms and the presence of economies of scale in the international projection of firms. We then go on to consider the efficiency of Planning Agreements. Designed to foster the localization of large firms in Southern Italy, this policy measure is unfortunately found to have somewhat departed from the original principles.
Volume (Year): (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anna Giunta, 2004. "Large Firms and Subcontracting Relations in Commercial Aircraft," Industrial Organization 0403008, EconWPA.
- Davide Castellani, 2002.
"Multinational experience and the creation of linkages with local firms: evidence from the electronics industry,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 26(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Davide CASTELLANI & Antonello ZANFEI, 1998. "Multinational experience and the creation of linkages with local firms. Evidence from the electronics industry," Working Papers 111, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Onida Fabrizio, 1998. "L'industria italiana in un contesto aperto," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 279-286.
- Florio Massimo & Lucchetti Riccardo & Quaglia Floriana, 1999. "Crescita endogena e investimenti esterni: un modello dell'impatto occupazionale di lungo periodo della grande impresa nel Mezzogiorno," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 591-612.
- Massimo Florio & Anna Giunta, 2001.
"L'esperienza dei contratti di programma: una valutazione a metà percorso,"
Departmental Working Papers
2001-12, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Giunta Anna & Florio Massimo, 2002. "L'esperienza dei contratti di programma: una valutazione a metà percorso," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 359-396.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.