Common factors and balance sheet structure of major European banks
This paper explores the relationship between listed European banks' fundamental characteristics and the riskiness of their stock returns. Banks' structural characteristics are measured through a number different balance sheet indicators which are then associated to the stock riskiness, as measured by the factor loadings on fundamentalfactors affecting the stock market at large. The results seem to indicate that, in the 1999-2002 period, in which the banks considered were traded in Euro, the factorloading against the market factor and against the default spread may be systematically related to banks' fundamental characteristics like asset quality indicators (especially reserves for bad loans over loans), to the composition of income (share of interest and commission revenue), and to a general indicator of bank efficiency such as the cost-income ratio. These results are broadly consistent with an option-based theory of bankvaluation, which would predict more variability in the price of bank stocks whenbanks hold riskier assets and economic conditions are poor.
Volume (Year): 59 (2006)
Issue (Month): 237 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.economiacivile.it|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elijah Brewer & William E. Jackson & James T. Moser, 1996.
"Alligators in the swamp: the impact of derivatives on the financial performance of depository institutions,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Aug, pages 482-501.
- Brewer, Elijah, III & Jackson, William E, III & Moser, James T, 1996. "Alligators in the Swamp: The Impact of Derivatives on the Financial Performance of Depository Institutions," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 482-497, August.
- Elijah Brewer, III & William E. Jackson, III & James T. Moser, 1996. "Alligators in the swamp: the impact of derivatives on the financial performance of depository institutions," Working Paper Series, Issues in Financial Regulation WP-96-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Harald A. Benink & Christian C. P. Wolffe, 1998.
"Survey data and the interest rate sensitivity of U.S. bank stock returns,"
604, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- H. A. Benink & C. C. P. Wolff, 2000. "Survey Data and the Interest Rate Sensitivity of US Bank Stock Returns," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 29(2), pages 201-213, 07.
- Rogers, Kevin & SinkeyJr., Joseph F., 1999. "An analysis of nontraditional activities at U.S. commercial banks," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 25-39, June.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-470, May.
- Flannery, Mark J & James, Christopher M, 1984. " The Effect of Interest Rate Changes on the Common Stock Returns of Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1141-1153, September.
- Merton, Robert C., 1977. "An analytic derivation of the cost of deposit insurance and loan guarantees An application of modern option pricing theory," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-11, June.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-465, June.
- Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2002. "Cost and Profit Efficiency of Financial Conglomerates and Universal Banks in Europe," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 254-282, February.
- Theoharry Grammatikos & Anthony Saunders, 1988.
"Additions to bank loan-loss reserves: good news or bad news?,"
89-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Grammatikos, Theoharry & Saunders, Anthony, 1990. "Additions to bank loan-loss reserves : Good news or bad news?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 289-304, March.
- Josef Lakonishok & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1993.
"Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
84, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Mark J. Flannery & Aris A. Protopapadakis, 2002. "Macroeconomic Factors Do Influence Aggregate Stock Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 751-782.
- Rosenberg, Barr, 1974. "Extra-Market Components of Covariance in Security Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 263-274, March.
- Brewer, Elijah III & Jackson, William III & Mondschean, Thomas S., 1996. "Risk, regulation, and S & L diversification into nontraditional assets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 723-744, May.
- McElroy, Marjorie B & Burmeister, Edwin, 1988. "Arbitrage Pricing Theory as a Restricted Nonlinear Multivariate Regression Model: Iterated Nonlinear Seemingly Unrelated Regression Estimates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(1), pages 29-42, January.
- Cebenoyan, A. Sinan & Strahan, Philip E., 2004. "Risk management, capital structure and lending at banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 19-43, January.
- Merton, Robert C., 1977.
"On the cost of deposit insurance when there are surveillance costs,"
903-77., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1978. "On the Cost of Deposit Insurance When There Are Surveillance Costs," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 439-452, July.
- He, Jia & Ng, Lilian K, 1994. "Economic Forces, Fundamental Variables, and Equity Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(4), pages 599-609, October.
- Rosenberg, Barr & McKibben, Walt, 1973. "The Prediction of Systematic and Specific Risk in Common Stocks," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 317-333, March.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
- Cooper, Michael J. & Jackson, William III & Patterson, Gary A., 2003. "Evidence of predictability in the cross-section of bank stock returns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 817-850, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psl:bnlqrr:2006:21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.