Economic transparency and poverty
Nowadays, with the diffusion of inflation targeting, the main instrument that central banks use to achieve final objectives in the implementation of monetary policy (concerning inflation and unemployment) is the interest rate. Furthermore, recent studies point out that central bank transparency contributes to reducing asymmetric information and price stability. As inflation, unemployment and interest rates are determinants of the level of poverty, the central bank's behaviour is relevant to its reduction. Accordingly, the present paper highlights the connection betweeneconomic transparency and poverty. The theoretical and empirical results denote that central bank transparency is a useful strategy in reducing income inequality andpoverty.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1991.
"The Welfare Costs of Moderate Inflations,"
90-04, Rochester, Business - General.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1991. "The welfare costs of moderate inflations," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 483-518.
- Cooley, Thomas F & Hansen, Gary D, 1991. "The Welfare Costs of Moderate Inflations," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(3), pages 483-503, August.
- Helder Ferreira de Mendonca, 2007. "Empirical evidence from fourteen countries with explicit inflation targeting," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(8), pages 573-576.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1999.
"Monetary Policy Issues for the Eurosystem,"
667, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1999. "Monetary policy issues for the Eurosystem," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 79-136, December.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1999. "Monetary policy issues for the Eurosystem," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1999. "Monetary Policy Issues for the Eurosystem," NBER Working Papers 7177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1999. "Monetary Policy Issues for the Eurosystem," CEPR Discussion Papers 2197, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, Lars, 1999. "Monetary Policy Issues for the Eurosystem," Seminar Papers 667, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psl:bnlaqr:2007:12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.