Une analyse empirique de l'impact de la libéralisation financière en Afrique subsaharienne sur la période 1983-1996
[eng] Audrey Chouchane-Verdier — An empirical analysis of the impact of financial liberalisation in Sub-Saharan Africa during the 1983-1996 period. This article analyses the efficiency of financial liberalisation policies undertaken in the majority of Sub-Saharan African economies at the end of the 1980's and the beginning of the 1990's. The evolution of the index of financial development that has been designed here shows a general regression of banking performances and enhanced stability on loan markets. This paper studies in greater detail the case of the countries of the franc zone as regards the application of financial reforms and stresses the discrepancies of the established measures and the banking structures in this region of the world.
Volume (Year): 45 (2004)
Issue (Month): 179 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.persee.fr/collection/tiers|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aryeetey, Ernest & Senbet, Lemma W & Udry, Christopher, 1997. "Financial Liberalisation and Financial Markets in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Synthesis," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 6(1), pages 1-28, March.
- De Gregorio, Jose & Guidotti, Pablo E., 1995.
"Financial development and economic growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 433-448, March.
- SI Ikhide & AA Alwode, 2002. "On The Sequencing Of Financial Liberalisation In Nigeria," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 70(1), pages 95-127, 03.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Tokatlidis, Ioannis, 2000.
"Financial Liberalization: The African Experience,"
13423, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1678, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Thomas Barnebeck Andersen & Finn Tarp, 2003. "Financial liberalization, financial development and economic growth in LDCs," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 189-209.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Kul B. Luintel, 1997.
"The Direct Costs Of Financial Repression: Evidence From India,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 311-320, May.
- Panicos Demetriades & Kul B. Luintel, 1995. "The Direct Costs of Financial Repression: Evidence from India," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 95/12, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Arestis, Philip, et al, 2002.
"The Impact of Financial Liberalization Policies on Financial Development: Evidence from Developing Economies,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 109-21, April.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos O. Demetriades & Bassam Fattouh & Kostas Mouratidis, 2002. "The Impact of Financial Liberalisation Policies on Financial Development Evidence from Developing Economies," Discussion Papers in Economics 02/1, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1995.
"Stock market development and financial intermediaries : stylized facts,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1462, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996. "Stock Market Development and Financial Intermediaries: Stylized Facts," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 291-321, May.
- Valerie R. Bencivenga & Bruce D. Smith, 1991.
"Financial Intermediation and Endogenous Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 195-209.
- Bencivenga, V.R. & Smith, B.D., 1990.
"Deficits, Inflation, And The Banking System In Developing Countries: The Optimal Degree Of Financial Repression,"
RCER Working Papers
214, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Bencivenga, Valerie R & Smith, Bruce D, 1992. "Deficits, Inflation, and the Banking System in Developing Countries: The Optimal Degree of Financial Repression," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 767-90, October.
- Amitava Krishna Dutt, 1991. "Interest Rate Policy in LDCs: A Post Keynesian View," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 13(2), pages 210-232, January.
- Célestin Monga, 1997. "A Currency Reform Index for Western and Central Africa," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 103-126, 01.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu & Mwangi S. Kimenyi & Njuguna S. Ndung'u, 2003. "Economic Reforms and Restructuring in Sub-Saharan Africa: An Overview," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(Supplemen), pages 1-11, September.
- G. Semedo & Patrick Villieu, 1997. "La zone franc : mécanismes et perspectives macroéconomiques," Post-Print halshs-00250892, HAL.
- Demetriades, Panicos O & Luintel, Kul B, 1996. "Financial Development, Economic Growth and Banker Sector Controls: Evidence from India," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(435), pages 359-74, March.
- Demetriades, Panicos O & Devereux, Michael P, 2000. "Investment and Financial Restraints: Theory and Evidence," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(4), pages 285-96, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prs:rtiers:tiers_1293-8882_2004_num_45_179_5512. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Equipe PERSEE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.