L’assurance des dépôts, un instrument de la régulation bancaire
[fre] Après avoir rappelé les justifications économiques d’une régulation du secteur bancaire, cet article s’attache à l’un des instruments de cette régulation, l’assurance des dépôts. En offrant une protection aux déposants, l’assurance des dépôts permettrait de prévenir les paniques bancaires, susceptibles de provoquer une crise systémique. Classification JEL : G28 [eng] Deposit insurance, an instrument of banks regulation After reminding of the economic justifications of bank regulation, this paper pays particular attention to one of the instruments of this regulation, the deposit insurance. While offering a protection to the depositors, the deposit insurance would allow to prevent bank runs and thus reduce the occurrence probability of a systemic crisis. We present the features of such a scheme identified as « optimal » in the academic literature in the sense that they avoid moral hazard and adverse selection phenomena. Thus, ideally, the system should be public and compulsory for all banks ; the guarantee should be limited and all-in price ; the premium paid by the banks should directly depends on each bank’s risk level. Classification JEL : G28
Volume (Year): 60 (2000)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.persee.fr/collection/ecofi|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rebel Cole & Jeffery Gunther, 1998. "Predicting Bank Failures: A Comparison of On- and Off-Site Monitoring Systems," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 13(2), pages 103-117, April.
- Rebel A. Cole & Jeffery W. Gunther, 1995. "FIMS: a new monitoring system for banking institutions," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jan, pages 1-15.
- Chan, Yuk-Shee & Greenbaum, Stuart I & Thakor, Anjan V, 1992.
" Is Fairly Priced Deposit Insurance Possible?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 227-45, March.
- W. R. M. Perraudin & Steven M. Fries, 1991. "Banking Policy and the Pricing of Deposit Guarantees; A New Approach," IMF Working Papers 91/131, International Monetary Fund.
- Duan, J.-C. & Simonato, J.-G., 1998. "The Estimation of Deposit Insurance with Interest Rate Risk," Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal- 98-07, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-Chaire de gestion des risques..
- G. G. Garcia, 1999. "Deposit Insurance; A Survey of Actual and Best Practices," IMF Working Papers 99/54, International Monetary Fund.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Alonso, Irasema, 1996. "On avoiding bank runs," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 73-87, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prs:recofi:ecofi_0987-3368_2000_num_60_5_3660. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Equipe PERSEE)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.