Central bank Losses. An Economic and Accounting Perspective Using the Example of the Czech National Bank
The first question that we ask ourselves in our article is whether the accounting of the central bank is supposed to respect the principles of internationally accepted standards (especially the International Financial Reporting Standards). We are looking for the basic differences in understanding of terms such as (il)liquidity and (in)solvency on the level of central and commercial banking. We analyze the economic reasons for origination of the long foreign exchange position of the ČNB which, under the circumstances of trend appreciation of the exchange rate of the Czech crown, is leading to a cumulative loss. We are discussing whether the current level of foreign exchange reserves of the ČNB is excessive or adequate. Special attention is paid to the monetary and financial impact of the loss of the central bank. We are pointing out that losing the central bank means profit for market subjects at the same time. It is not just a "fictitious" accounting problem and it can have its factual impact on the national economy. At the end we are summarizing and assessing the individual opinions regarding the loss of the ČNB.
Volume (Year): 2009 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Redakce Politické ekonomie, Vysoká škola ekonomická, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/polek/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:imf:imfpdp:9314 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter Stella, 2002. "Central Bank Financial Strength, Transparency, and Policy Credibility," IMF Working Papers 02/137, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Stella & Åke Lonnberg, 2008. "Issues in central bank finance and independence," Working Paper 2008-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Egert, Balazs & Komarek, Lubos, 2006.
"Foreign exchange interventions and interest rate policy in the Czech Republic: Hand in glove?,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 121-140, June.
- Balazs Egert & Lubos Komarek, 2005. "Foreign Exchange Interventions and Interest Rate Policy in the Czech Republic: Hand in Glove?," Working Papers 2005/07, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Kenneth Sullivan, 2005. "Transparency in Central Bank Financial Statement Disclosures," IMF Working Papers 05/80, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Stella, 1997. "Do Central Banks Need Capital?," IMF Working Papers 97/83, International Monetary Fund.
- Ã…ke LÃ¶nnberg & Peter Stella, 2008. "Issues in Central Bank Finance and Independence," IMF Working Papers 08/37, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpol:v:2009:y:2009:i:6:id:706:p:723-739. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.