Market Timing and Selectivity Performance: A Cross-Sectional Analysis of Malaysian Unit Trust Funds
This study examines the extent to which fund characteristics contributes to explaining fund returns differentiated by managers´ stock picking and market timing abilities. The findings show that funds characterized by high exposures to broad market movements have good timing returns but show poor selectivity performance, suggesting the presence of activity specialization among fund managers. It is shown that large funds enhance managers´ timing returns, reflecting the efficiencies of large funds in responding to market-wide movements. However, as the size of the fund gets larger, managers find it more challenging to identify worthwhile investments and hence results in poor selectivity performance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2012 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/pep/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henriksson, Roy D, 1984. "Market Timing and Mutual Fund Performance: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 73-96, January.
- Elton, Edwin J, et al, 1993. "Efficiency with Costly Information: A Reinterpretation of Evidence from Managed Portfolios," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 1-22.
- Miguel A. Ferreira & Aneel Keswani & António F. Miguel & Sofia B. Ramos, 2013.
"The Determinants of Mutual Fund Performance: A Cross-Country Study,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 17(2), pages 483-525.
- Miguel A. Ferreira & António F. Miguel & Sofia Ramos, 2006. "The Determinants of Mutual Fund Performance: A Cross-Country Study," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 06-31, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Bialkowski, Jedrzej & Otten, Roger, 2011. "Emerging market mutual fund performance: Evidence for Poland," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 118-130, August.
- David R. Gallagher & Kyle M. Martin, 2005. "Size and investment performance: a research note," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 41(1), pages 55-65.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1972. "Components of Investment Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 27(3), pages 551-567, June.
- Roger Otten & Dennis Bams, 2002. "European Mutual Fund Performance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 8(1), pages 75-101.
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Engström, Stefan & Söderlind, Paul, 1999.
"Performance and Characteristics of Swedish Mutual Funds,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
312, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 25 Nov 1999.
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Engström, Stefan & Söderlind, Paul, 2000. "Performance and Characteristics of Swedish Mutual Funds," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 409-423, September.
- Chang, Eric C & Lewellen, Wilbur G, 1984. "Market Timing and Mutual Fund Investment Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 57-72, January.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpep:v:2012:y:2012:i:2:id:419:p:205-219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.