Estimation of the Czech Republic Sacrifice Ratio for the Transition Period
Estimation of the costs of disinflation policy is usually done using the sacrifice ratio (SR) coefficient. This paper provides two alternative estimates of SR for the Czech economy. The estimates are based on relatively simple, but transparent and verified models, i.e. their vector autoregression and vector moving average representations. When we analysze our estimates of the Czech SR from the accuracy point of view, we see that the results are very sensitive to the way of definition of monetary shocks. Even though the individual estimates of the SR are generally not accurate enough for monetary policy decision making, there is a good probability that the Czech SR was negative during the transition period analysed, with relatively low absolute value. We may therefore assume that if the Czech National Bank decides to incur monetary restriction, such action would not have long-term significant negative impact on output.
Volume (Year): 2005 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/pep/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-73, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Blanchard and Quah AER 1989," Statistical Software Components RTZ00017, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance," Working papers 497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "BQDODRAWS: RATS procedure to implement Monte Carlo draws from a VAR with Blanchard-Quah factorization," Statistical Software Components RTS00030, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Taylor, John B, 1979. "Staggered Wage Setting in a Macro Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 108-13, May.
- Laurence Ball, 1990.
"Credible Disinflation with Staggered Price Setting,"
NBER Working Papers
3555, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ball, Laurence, 1994. "Credible Disinflation with Staggered Price-Setting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 282-89, March.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G & Rich, Robert W, 2001.
"Structural Estimates of the U.S. Sacrifice Ratio,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(4), pages 416-27, October.
- Matthew D. Shapiro & Mark W. Watson, 1988.
"Sources of Business Cycle Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
2589, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey C. Fuhrer, 1995. "The persistence of inflation and the cost of disinflation," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jan, pages 3-16.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Landerretche, Oscar & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 2001.
"Assessing Inflation Targeting after a Decade of World Experience,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 343-68, October.
- Vittorio Corbo & Oscar Landerretche & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2001. "Assessing Inflation Targeting after a Decade of World Experience," Working Papers 51, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlpep:v:2005:y:2005:i:1:id:252:p:51-63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.