Milton Friedman and the Contemporary Monetary Policy
Milton Friedman, American Nobel price winner for Economics, was one of the most important economists in the 20th century. He contributed to the development of macroeconomic theory as well as to the new concept of monetary policy. In the area of economic theory two of main Friedman´s contributions are recorded: the new interpretation of the Quantity Theory of Money and the theory of the Natural Rate of Unemployment. In the area of economic policy his criticism of neo-Keynesian orientation to the stimulation of effective demand and the interest rate targeting is mentioned and his recommendation to manage the money supply is underlined. Friedman´s criticism of the monetary policy of the Federal Reserve during the Great Depression is also paid attention to as well as the contemporary monetary policy of the American central bank.
Volume (Year): 2012 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Český finanční a účetní časopis, Vysoká škola ekonomická v Praze, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/cfuc/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ucp:bkecon:9780226519999 is not listed on IDEAS
- Miroslav Hrncir, 2009. "Monetary Policy and Central Banking in the Wake of the World Financial Crisis," ACTA VSFS, University of Finance and Administration, vol. 3(2), pages 137-166.
- Milton Friedman, 1957. "Introduction to "A Theory of the Consumption Function"," NBER Chapters,in: A Theory of the Consumption Function, pages 1-6 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Milton Friedman & Anna J. Schwartz, 1963. "A Monetary History of the United States, 1867–1960," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie63-1, June.
- Milton Friedman, 1957. "A Theory of the Consumption Function," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie57-1, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlcfu:v:2012:y:2012:i:4:id:3:p:15-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.