Decentralization of public policies for the promotion of firms’ internationalization. A proposal
Despite the extensive investigation regarding decentralization, the role of local governments in promoting firms’ internationalization doesn’t seem to have received adequate attention from literature, neither from the area of regional science nor from studies of international business. The present work intends to overpass this gap, establishing a bridge on the review of the literature about firms’ internationalization, decentralization and internationalization promotion policies. The study focuses on Portugal, a not very explored country from the scientific point of view, where small and medium firms represent the most part of the entrepreneurial reality and their internationalization is presented as a solution to fight the economic crisis and where decentralization is a process that still requires more deepening. Analyzing, based on direct enquiries, the involvement of Portuguese municipalities in activities promoting economic development and/or internationalization of local firms and the firms’ evaluation of these activities, the aim of this research is to rethink internationalization promotion policies on a territorial/local basis. This study will gather evidence that will allow assessing whether municipalities can also play an active role on the promotion of local enterprises on the global market.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://webapps.fep.up.pt/oaij/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Zachary Taylor, 2007.
"Political Decentralization and Technological Innovation: Testing the Innovative Advantages of Decentralized States,"
Review of Policy Research,
Policy Studies Organization, vol. 24(3), pages 231-257, 05.
- Taylor, Mark Zachary, 2007. "Political decentralization and technological innovation: testing the innovative advantages of decentralized states," MPRA Paper 10996, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Henry Etzkowitz & Magnus Gulbrandsen, 1999. "Public entrepreneur: the trajectory of United States science, technology and industrial policy," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(1), pages 53-62, February.
- Lederman, Daniel & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Payton, Lucy, 2010. "Export promotion agencies: Do they work?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 257-265, March.
- José Pinho & Lurdes Martins, 2010. "Exporting barriers: Insights from Portuguese small- and medium-sized exporters and non-exporters," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 254-272, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:por:emrpij:v:1:y:2011:i:1:p:66-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pedro Cosme C Vieira)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.