The Production and Consumption of Livestock Foods in Pakistan: A Look into the Future
The supply response functions for beef, mutton, poultry meat, eggs, and fresh milk are estimated using the polynomial price lag model, and that of fish meat production using the stock adjustment model. Both the production and domestic consumption of these foods are then projected over the period 1993-94 through 2004-05 using the estimated supply response functions and the existing estimates of demand parameters assuming trend growth of exogenous variables. In the case of mutton and fresh milk there is excess demand, while in the rest of the cases surplus production is predicted. A significant proportion of the anticipated excess demand for mutton and fresh milk can be eliminated by increasing the rate of credit supply to these sub-sectors.
Volume (Year): 33 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lutkepohl, Helmut, 1981. "A model for non-negative and non-positive distributed lag functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 211-219, June.
- Thornton, Daniel L & Batten, Dallas S, 1985. "Lag-Length Selection and Tests of Granger Causality between Money and Income," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(2), pages 164-78, May.
- Hsiao, Cheng, 1981. "Autoregressive modelling and money-income causality detection," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 85-106.
- Howarth E. Bouis, 1992. "Food Demand Elasticities by Income Group by Urban and Rural Populations for Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 31(4), pages 997-1017.
- N. A. Burney & M. Akmal, 1991. "Food Demand In Pakistan: An Application Of The Extended Linear Expenditure System," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 185-195.
- J.-P. Chavas & A. F. Kraus, 1990. "Population Dynamics And Milk Supply Response In The Us Lake States," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 75-84.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:33:y:1994:i:1:p:19-39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.