Is Inflation Perceived by Polish Consumers Driven by Prices of Frequently Bought Goods and Services?
Inflation perceived by consumers may differ from official statistics due to different baskets of goods and services both variables refer to. Consumers may be substantially influenced by prices of frequent purchases. Such an effect was noted in some European countries at the time of the launch of the euro. This study tests the relationship between price changes of different baskets of goods and services and consumer inflation perception in Poland. A relatively fast increase in prices of frequently purchased products characterised the period of Polish accession to the European Union, which offers a good basis for analysing its impact on inflation perception. Comparative Economic Studies (2009) 51, 100–117. doi:10.1057/ces.2008.21
Volume (Year): 51 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK|
Web: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/pal/subscribe/index.html Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manfred Fluch & Helmut Stix, 2005. "Perceived Inflation in Austria – Extent, Explanations, Effects," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 22–47.
- Tomasz Lyziak & Ewa Stanislawska, 2006. "Consumer inflation expectations Survey questions and quantification methods – the case of Poland," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 37, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Tomasz Lysiak, 2005. "Inflation Targeting and Consumer Inflation Expectations in Poland: A Success Story?," Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing,Centre for International Research on Economic Tendency Surveys, vol. 2005(2), pages 185-212.
- Luis J. Álvarez & Pilar Cuadrado Salinas & Javier Jareño & Isabel Sánchez García, 2004. "El impacto de la puesta en circulación del euro sobre los precios de consumo," Occasional Papers 0404, Banco de España;Occasional Papers Homepage.
- Carlson, John A & Parkin, J Michael, 1975. "Inflation Expectations," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(166), pages 123-38, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:compes:v:51:y:2009:i:1:p:100-117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Iulia Badea)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.