Is Inflation Perceived by Polish Consumers Driven by Prices of Frequently Bought Goods and Services?
Inflation perceived by consumers may differ from official statistics due to different baskets of goods and services both variables refer to. Consumers may be substantially influenced by prices of frequent purchases. Such an effect was noted in some European countries at the time of the launch of the euro. This study tests the relationship between price changes of different baskets of goods and services and consumer inflation perception in Poland. A relatively fast increase in prices of frequently purchased products characterised the period of Polish accession to the European Union, which offers a good basis for analysing its impact on inflation perception. Comparative Economic Studies (2009) 51, 100–117. doi:10.1057/ces.2008.21
Volume (Year): 51 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/41294/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomasz Lysiak, 2006. "Inflation Targeting and Consumer Inflation Expectations in Poland: A Success Story?," Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing, Centre for International Research on Economic Tendency Surveys, vol. 2005(2), pages 185-212.
- Manfred Fluch & Helmut Stix, 2005. "Perceived Inflation in Austria – Extent, Explanations, Effects," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 22-47.
- Tomasz Lyziak & Ewa Stanislawska, 2006. "Consumer inflation expectations Survey questions and quantification methods – the case of Poland," NBP Working Papers 37, Narodowy Bank Polski, Economic Research Department.
- Luis J. Álvarez & Pilar Cuadrado Salinas & Javier Jareño & Isabel Sánchez García, 2004. "El impacto de la puesta en circulación del euro sobre los precios de consumo," Occasional Papers 0404, Banco de España;Occasional Papers Homepage.
- Carlson, John A & Parkin, J Michael, 1975. "Inflation Expectations," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(166), pages 123-138, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:compes:v:51:y:2009:i:1:p:100-117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.