Inflation expectations formation and financial stability in Indonesia
This paper examines the role of expectations in explaining the dynamics of inflation, interest rates and other key financial variables in Indonesia using VAR and error correction analyses. It is found that deposit interest rates, exchange rates and oil prices have significant impact on the expectations formation. We also found that administered prices are important, but their role decreases with time, while exogenous shocks remain a major source of movements in the expectations. The latter has long lasting effects and still accounts for more than 10 per cent of the variability of inflation expectations after the period of one year. This evidence shows the importance of inflation expectations formation, particularly on domestic financial stability.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in The Empirical Economic Letters 9.8(2009): pp. 833-842|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keen Meng Choy & Kenneth Leong & Anthony S. Tay, 2003.
"Non-Fundamental Expectations and Economic Fluctuations: Evidence from Professional Forecasts,"
Departmental Working Papers
wp0306, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Choy, Keen Meng & Leong, Kenneth & Tay, Anthony S., 2006. "Non-fundamental expectations and economic fluctuations: Evidence from professional forecasts," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 446-460, June.
- Dahl Christian M. & Hansen Niels L., 2001. "The Formation of Inflation Expectations under Changing Inflation Regimes," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(4), pages 1-31, January.
- Yash P. Mehra & Christopher Herrington, 2008. "On the sources of movements in inflation expectations : a few insights from a VAR model," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 121-146.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Osborn, Denise R., 1990. "A survey of seasonality in UK macroeconomic variables," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 327-336, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:27763. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.