Does Extension Work? Impacts of a Program to Assist Limited-Resource Farmers in Virginia
In this article the economic impacts of Virginia State University's Small Farm Outreach, Training, and Technical Assistance Program are assessed. Impacts are measured in terms of program effect on incomes of limited-resource participant farmers compared with their net farm incomes had they not participated. The program appears to significantly increase net farm income, provided there is sufficient intensity of participation. A single visit by an agent had no significant effect on income, suggesting a rationale for deepening participation intensity before broadening it. Aggregate program benefits may approach $5 million per year (for a cost of a few hundred thousand dollars). Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 26 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robinson, Chris, 1989. "The Joint Determination of Union Status and Union Wage Effects: Some Tests of Alternative Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 639-67, June.
- McLean-Meyinsse, Patricia E. & Hui, Jianguo & Joseph, Randolph, Jr., 1994. "An Empirical Analysis Of Louisiana Small Farmers' Involvement In The Conservation Reserve Program," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- James Heckman, 1997. "Instrumental Variables: A Study of Implicit Behavioral Assumptions Used in Making Program Evaluations," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(3), pages 441-462.
- Heckman, James J, 1990. "Varieties of Selection Bias," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 313-18, May.
- J. William Levedahl, 1995. "How Much Can Informational Outreach Programs Increase Food Stamp Program Participation?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(2), pages 343-352.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:revage:v:26:y:2004:i:3:p:361-372. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.