A review of the trade weighted exchange rate index
Over the past year the Bank has completed a review of the official trade weighted index (TWI). This article documents that review, noting issues of importance when considering the most appropriate effective exchange rate for a central bank, and presenting a number of different weighting methodologies. Whilst different effective exchange rate indices are suited to different purposes, at this time we believe the current official five-currency TWI remains a good summary measure for monetary policy purposes. However, the Bank will also begin publishing an extended 14 currency TWI, which includes the currencies of a number of Asian economies with which New Zealand’s bilateral trade has increased markedly in recent years. This ‘extended’ TWI will be published on the Bank’s website as an analytical series and the properties of the series will be further monitored as trade flows develop.
Volume (Year): 70 (2007)
Issue (Month): (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 2498, Wellington|
Phone: 64 4 471-3767
Fax: 64 4 471-2270
Web page: http://www.rbnz.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tamim Bayoumi & Jaewoo Lee & Sarma Jayanthi, 2006.
"New Rates from New Weights,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(2), pages 1-4.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005. "New Rates from New Weights," IMF Working Papers 05/99, .
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Jayanthi, Sarma & Lee, Jaewoo, 2006. "New Rates from New Weights," CEPR Discussion Papers 5860, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael P. Leahy, 1998. "New summary measures of the foreign exchange value of the dollar," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 811-818.
- David Hargreaves & Bruce White, 1999. "Measures of New Zealand's effective exchange rate," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 62, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nzb:nzbbul:june2007:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reserve Bank of New Zealand Knowledge Centre)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.