A questão do investimento no Setor Elétrico Brasileiro: reforma e crise [The investment in the Brazilian power sector: reform and crisis]
Brazil is presently going through its worse electricity supply crisis in fifty years. This happens after seven year efforts of market-oriented reforms, and inevitably raises the issue of whether the design and rhythm of the reform have been correct. The roots of the present crisis lie in a long period of underinvestment dating from the eighties; sector reforms were aimed at correcting this situation, but have been unsuccessful thus far. This article discusses the causes of this failure and attempts a way out of the present problems. The present crisis requires an emergency answer, but also a long term policy. I argue that such a policy must be based upon the acknowledgement that electricity demand in Brazil will tend to grow fast for the foreseeable future and that sector reform must be based upon dynamic rather than static efficiency. Furthermore, the large Brazilian hydropower system requires special treatment if we are to have investment in hydro and in thermal plants.
Volume (Year): 11 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 - Predio da FACE Belo Horizonte, 31270-901 Brazil|
Phone: +55 31 3409-7000
Web page: http://www.face.ufmg.br/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 - Predio da FACE Belo Horizonte, 31270-901 Brazil|
Web: http://www.face.ufmg.br/novaeconomia/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lyon, Thomas P, 1996.
"A Model of Sliding-Scale Regulation,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 227-247, May.
- Lyon, T.P., 1993. "A Model of Sliding-Scale Regulation," Papers 93-011, Indiana - Center for Econometric Model Research.
- Paul L. Joskow & Richard Schmalensee, 1988. "Markets for Power: An Analysis of Electrical Utility Deregulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262600188, July.
- Lucas, Nigel & Taylor, Peter, 1994. "Structural deficiencies in electricity pricing in the pool," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 72-76, January.
- David M. Newbery, 2002. "Privatization, Restructuring, and Regulation of Network Utilities," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262640481, July.
- Green, Richard J & Newbery, David M, 1992. "Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 929-953, October.
- Green, Richard & Newbery, David M G, 1991. "Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 557, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chang, Ha-Joon, 1997. "The Economics and Politics of Regulation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(6), pages 703-728, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nov:artigo:v:11:y:2001:i:1:p:77-96. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bárbara Freitas Paglioto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.