Innovation and entrepreneurship: structural determinants of competitiveness
Innovation and entrepreneurship have become the cornerstone of growth and competitiveness policies. They are both multidimensional, and thus highly complex, concepts. The focus of the article is on the process nature of innovation which is extensively illustrated by means of the Community Innovation Survey (CIS) results for Belgium, its three main neighbouring countries and the EU as a whole. The CIS offers an original view of how firms are performing in the innovation stakes in each economy, defining innovation as the introduction of a new or significantly improved product or process. Among the various dimensions considered are expenditure on innovation, including R&D, cooperation with other economic agents, hampering factors, public support and innovation policies. The specific role of entrepreneurship as a driver of innovation is also considered. The article points up the importance of general framework conditions and the structural characteristics of an economy for its innovation process and performance. In the case of Belgium, its external openness, the necessary fiscal restraint, and the position of its firms at the core of the international production process really do exert an influence on its overall innovation profile.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): iv (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Boulevard de Berlaimont 14, B-1000 Bruxelles|
Phone: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 25 34
Fax: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 31 62
Web page: https://www.nbb.be/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Audretsch, David B., 2009.
"Entrepreneurship capital and economic growth,"
INVESTIGACIONES REGIONALES - Journal of REGIONAL RESEARCH,
Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 15, pages 27-45.
- Peter van der Zwan & Roy Thurik & Isabel Grilo, 2010.
"The entrepreneurial ladder and its determinants,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(17), pages 2183-2191.
- Roy Thurik & Isabel Grilo & Peter van der Zwan, 2006. "The entrepreneurial ladder and its determinants," Scales Research Reports H200620, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Peter van der Zwan & Roy Thurik & Isabel Grilo, 2006. "The Entrepreneurial Ladder and its Determinants," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-103/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 14 Nov 2007.
- Crepon, B. & Duguet, E. & Mairesse, J., 1998. "Research Investment, Innovation and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 98.15, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Robert M. Solow, 1956. "A Contribution to the Theory of Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 65-94.
- Max Keilbach & Mark Sanders, 2007. "Exploration and Exploitation - The Role of Entrepreneurship and R+D in the Process of Innovation," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-108, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Azele Mathieu & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2010.
"A Note on the Drivers of R&D Intensity,"
Research in World Economy,
Research in World Economy, Sciedu Press, vol. 1(1), pages 56-65, November.
- Azele Mathieu & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2008. "A note on the drivers of R&D intensity," Working Papers CEB 08-002.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mathieu, Azèle & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2008. "A Note on The Drivers of R&D Intensity," CEPR Discussion Papers 6684, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Florence Jaumotte & Nigel Pain, 2005. "Innovation in the Business Sector," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 459, OECD Publishing.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation And Productivity: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Working Papers 98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 2006. "Joseph Schumpeter Lecture Appropriate Growth Policy: A Unifying Framework," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(2-3), pages 269-314, 04-05.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Jones, Charles I, 1995. "R&D-Based Models of Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(4), pages 759-84, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbb:ecrart:y:2008:m:december:i:iv:p:61-83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.