El Outsourcing en el desempeño de las exportaciones de las empresas
This paper examines the effect of outsourcing on the export performance of firms. The analysis is based on the theories of international business and the point of view of the resources and the economics of transaction costs, according to which offshore outsourcing helps companies - directly or indirectly - to enhanced exports, production costs reduction and to increase the firm flexibility; also providing new resources and marketing knowledge. Nevertheless, the outsourcing effects depend upon the resources and capabilities that the firms have to manage a foreign providers network and to absorb the foreign knowledge. Using a database of about 1,000 manufacturing companies in Mexico in 2007, it was found that offshore outsourcing increases the performance of exports; the effects are stronger in export markets where firms import intermediate goods. The results also show that the size of the company, the organization of intrafirm imports and export experience moderate the effects of outsourcing in a positive way. These results have implications for businesses and policy makers.
Volume (Year): 57 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (abril-junio)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Circuito exterior s/n, Ciudad Universitaria, Del. Coyoacón, C. P. 04510, México D.F.|
Web page: http://www.fca.unam.mx/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stein, Ernesto & Daude, Christian, 2007. "Longitude matters: Time zones and the location of foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 96-112, March.
- Subramanian Rangan, 2000. "Search and Deliberation in International Exchange: Microfoundations to Some Macro Patterns," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 31(2), pages 205-222, June.
- Piero Morosini & Scott Shane & Harbir Singh, 1998. "National Cultural Distance and Cross-Border Acquisition Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 29(1), pages 137-158, March.
- David L. Levy, 2005. "Offshoring in the New Global Political Economy," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 685-693, May.
- Jonathan P Doh & Kraiwinee Bunyaratavej & Eugene D Hahn, 2009. "Separable but not equal: The location determinants of discrete services offshoring activities," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 40(6), pages 926-943, August.
- Eriksson, Kent & Chetty, Sylvie, 2003. "The effect of experience and absorptive capacity on foreign market knowledge," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 673-695, December.
- Chong Ju Choi & Soo Hee Lee & Jai Boem Kim, 1999. "A Note on Countertrade: Contractual Uncertainty and Transaction Governance in Emerging Economies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 30(1), pages 189-201, March.
- Wedad J. Elmaghraby, 2000. "Supply Contract Competition and Sourcing Policies," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages 350-371, April.
- Diana Farrell, 2005. "Offshoring: Value Creation through Economic Change," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 675-683, May.
- Ernst Verwaal & Bas Donkers, 2002. "Firm Size and Export Intensity: Solving an Empirical Puzzle," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 33(3), pages 603-613, September.
- Dante Di Gregorio & Martina Musteen & Douglas E Thomas, 2009. "Offshore outsourcing as a source of international competitiveness for SMEs," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 40(6), pages 969-988, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nax:conyad:v:57:y:2012:i:2:p:135-158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alberto García-Narvaez (Technical Editor))
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.