Prospects for a Single Asian Currency
This paper evaluates the prospects for greater exchange rate coordination amongst Asian countries. This would help in fostering greater trade and investment linkages within the region and diversification of the reserve currency away from the US Dollar, both of which would shelter Asian economies from events like the recent financial crisis in the future. The paper constructs an hypothetical Asian Currency Unit to evaluate the degree of exchange rate coordination amongst the member countries, and finds that the participating countries have displayed disparate movements against the ACU, indicating the varied objectives of the policymakers. The paper also evaluates role of some of the regional initiatives in encouraging financial and monetary cooperation, and concludes that while these initiatives are extremely important, they need to be significantly strengthened in a world of rapidly changing global financial architecture.
Volume (Year): 6 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.mof.go.jp/pri/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Emmanuel Farhi & Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas, 2008.
"Financial Crash, Commodity Prices and Global Imbalances,"
NBER Working Papers
14521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emmanuel Farhi & Ricardo Caballero & Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas, "undated". "Financial Crash, Commodity Prices and Global Imbalances," Working Paper 20933, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Oliver & Farhi, Emmanuel & Caballero, Ricardo J., 2008. "Financial Crash, Commodity Prices, and Global Imbalances," Scholarly Articles 3229095, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Caballero, Ricardo & Farhi, Emmanuel & Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier, 2008. "Financial Crash, Commodity Prices and Global Imbalances," CEPR Discussion Papers 7064, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Haruhiko Kuroda & Masahiro Kawai, 2002. "Strengthening Regional Financial Cooperation in East Asia," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 332, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2009.
"Global Imbalances and Financial Fragility,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 584-588, May.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2006. "The Parallel-Currency Approach to Asian Monetary Integration," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 432-436, May.
- Kenen,Peter B. & Meade,Ellen E., 2008.
"Regional Monetary Integration,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521862509, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mof:journl:ppr011f. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Policy Research Institute)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.