Strict Liability, Capped Strict Liability, and Care Effort under Asymmetric Information
This paper compares the effectiveness of regimes of strict liability and capped strict liability in an agency relationship among a regulatory agency and operators of risky activities. Under an assumption of double asymmetric information (wealth and efficiency in care effort), it shows that capping liability is more efficient than keeping with strict liability, this at the price of an informational rent. Efficiency means that the efficient agent supplies the level of safety effort equivalent to that in the first-best solution. At the optimum, the rent is minimized by the efficient contract supplied by the principal.
Volume (Year): 168 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.mohr.de/jite |
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miceli, Thomas J. & Segerson, Kathleen, 2003.
"A note on optimal care by wealth-constrained injurers,"
International Review of Law and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 273-284, September.
- Thomas J. Miceli & Kathleen Segerson, 2001. "A Note on Optimal Care by Wealth-Constrained Injurers," Working papers 2002-44, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised May 2002.
- Giuseppe Dari Mattiacci & Gerrit De Geest, .
"When Will Judgment Proof Injurers Take Too Much Precaution?,"
German Working Papers in Law and Economics
2002-1-1051, Berkeley Electronic Press.
- Dari-Mattiacci, Giuseppe & De Geest, Gerrit, 2006. "When will judgment proof injurers take too much precaution?," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 336-354, September.
- G. Dari Mattiacci & G.G.A. de Geest, 2004. "When Will Judgment Proof Injurers Take Too Much Precaution?," Working Papers 04-27, Utrecht School of Economics.
- HIRIART Yolande & MARTIMORT David, 2006.
"The Benefits of Extended Liability,"
LERNA Working Papers
06.28.221, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Heyes, Anthony G, 1996. "Lender Penalty for Environmental Damage and the Equilibrium Cost of Capital," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(250), pages 311-23, May.
- Schmitz, Patrick W., 2000.
"On the Joint Use of Liability and Safety Regulation,"
12536, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schmitz, Patrick W., 2000. "On the joint use of liability and safety regulation," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 371-382, September.
- Hiriart, Yolande & Martimort, David, 2004. "Environmental Risk Regulation and Liability under Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard," IDEI Working Papers 256, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Boyer, M. & Laffont, J.J., 1995.
"Environmental Risks and Bank Liability,"
Cahiers de recherche
9501, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Boyer, Marcel & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1994. "Environmental Risks and Bank Liability," IDEI Working Papers 45, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Marcel Boyer & Jean-Jacques Laffont, 1994. "Environmental Risks and Bank Liability," CIRANO Working Papers 94s-22, CIRANO.
- Boyer, M. & Laffont, J.J., 1995. "Environmental Risks and Bank Liability," Cahiers de recherche 9501, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Tsuyoshi Toshimitsu & Naoto Jinji, 2007. "Quality Differentiation, Welfare, And The Mode Of Competition In A Vertically Differentiated Product Market: A Note," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 58(3), pages 407-416.
- BOYER, Marcel, 1995.
"Environmental Protection Producer Insolvency and Lender Liability,"
Cahiers de recherche
9557, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Marcel Boyer & Jean-Jacques Laffont, 1995. "Environmental Protection, Producer Insolvency and Lender Liability," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-50, CIRANO.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:11:y:2006:i:1:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20060070 is not listed on IDEAS
- Faure, Michael & Wang, Hui, 2008. "Financial caps for oil pollution damage: A historical mistake?," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 592-606, July.
- Dieter Balkenborg, 2001. "How Liable Should a Lender Be? The Case of Judgment-Proof Firms and Environmental Risk: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 731-738, June.
- T. Randolph Beard, 1990. "Bankruptcy and Care Choice," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(4), pages 626-634, Winter.
- Marcel Boyer & Donatella Porrini, 2007. "Sharing Liability Between Banks and Firms: The Case of Industrial Safety Risk," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-04, CIRANO.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:jinste:urn:sici:0932-4569(201206)168:2_232:slcsla_2.0.tx_2-9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.