Modelling the Transaction Role of Money and the Essentiality of Money in an Explosive Hyperinflation Context
This paper shows firstly that the cash-in-advance model presents exactly the same kind of limitations as the money-in-the-utility-function model for characterizing explosive hyperinflation. These limitations relate to sufficient money essentiality in the sense of Scheinkman . Thereby this paper departs from Gutierrez and Vazquez  and contributes to the understanding of failure of the Cagan inflationary finance models with perfect foresight. Secondly, it shows that the inclusion of the goods market equilibrium condition calls into question the validity of explosive hyperinflationary paths as equilibrium paths in the cash-in-advance model. Two solutions are proposed to save the validity of explosive hyperinflation paths.
Volume (Year): 166 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evans, J Lynne, 1995. "The Demand for Money: Hyperinflation or High Inflation Traps," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 63(0), pages 49-56, Suppl..
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1983.
"Speculative Hyperinflations in Maximizing Models: Can We Rule Them Out?,"
12491027, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Speculative Hyperinflations in Maximizing Models: Can We Rule Them Out?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 675-87, August.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1981. "Speculative hyperinflations in a maximizing models: can we rule them out?," International Finance Discussion Papers 195, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1982. "Speculative Hyperinflations in Maximizing Models: Can We Rule Them Out?," NBER Working Papers 0855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Holanda Barbosa, Fernando & Barros da Cunha, Alexandre, 2003. "Inflation tax and money essentiality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 187-195, February.
- Gutiérrez Huerta, María José & Vázquez Pérez, Jesús, 2002. "Explosive Hyperinflation, Inflation Tax Laffer Curve and Modelling the use of Money," DFAEII Working Papers 2002-27, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:jinste:urn:sici:0932-4569(201009)166:3_387:mttrom_2.0.tx_2-s. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.