Exchange Rate and Political Risks, Again
We examine the effects of exchange rate and political risks on foreign direct investment (FDI) for multinationals. We examine FDI by U. S. firms at two levels: in all industries and on the subset of firms in manufacturing industries. When investing in developed economies, firms appear to consider past and present variation in exchange rates. When investing in less developed nations, past and present variation does not appear to weigh as heavily as present and future variation. Decreasing political risk increases FDI.
Volume (Year): 46 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111024|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kai Carstensen & Farid Toubal, 2004.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries: A Dynamic Panel Analysis,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: a dynamic panel analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-22, March.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: A dynamic panel analysis," Munich Reprints in Economics 19965, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries: A Dynamic Panel Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1143, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Biswas, Romita, 2002. "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 492-504, October.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Kolstad, Charles D., 1994.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Exchange Rate Variability and Demand Uncertainty,"
94-23, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Goldberg, Linda S & Kolstad, Charles D, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment, Exchange Rate Variability and Demand Uncertainty," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(4), pages 855-873, November.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Charles D. Kolstad, 1994. "Foreign Direct Investment, Exchange Rate Variability and Demand Uncertainty," NBER Working Papers 4815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Nigh, 1985. "The Effect of Political Events on United States Direct Foreign Investment: A Pooled Time-Series Cross-Sectional Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 16(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Gregory Clare & Ira N. Gang, 2010.
"Exchange Rate and Political Risks, Again,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(3), pages 46-58, May.
- Busse, Matthias & Hefeker, Carsten, 2007.
"Political risk, institutions and foreign direct investment,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 397-415, June.
- Hefeker, Carsten & Busse, Matthias, 2005. "Political Risk, Institutions and Foreign Direct Investment," HWWA Discussion Papers 315, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Michal Brzozowski, 2006.
"Exchange Rate Variability and Foreign Direct Investment: Consequences of EMU Enlargement,"
Eastern European Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(1), pages 5-24, February.
- Michal Brzozowski, 2003. "Exchange Rate Variability and Foreign Direct Investment - Consequences of EMU Enlargement," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0258, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Gregory Clare, 1992. "The impact of exchange rate risk on the foreign direct investment of U.S. multinational manufacturing companies," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 143-163, June.
- Benassy-Quere, AgnEs & Fontagne, Lionel & LahrEche-Revil, Amina, 2001. "Exchange-Rate Strategies in the Competition for Attracting Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 178-198, June.
- Kazuhiro Igawa, 1983. "Some Evidences between Foreign Direct Investments and Foreign Exchange Rates: A Preliminary Note," Kobe Economic & Business Review, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, vol. 29, pages 21-32.
- Marie E Wicks Kelly & George C Philippatos, 1982. "Comparative Analysis of the Foreign Investment Evaluation Practices by U.S.-Based Manufacturing Multinational Companies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 13(3), pages 19-42, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mes:emfitr:v:46:y:2010:i:3:p:46-58. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.