Fiscal Consolidation in Israel: A Global Fiscal Model Perspective
Fiscal consolidation has become a central policy prescription for many highly indebted emerging market countries (EMCs). Although prudent fiscal policies tend to reduce vulnerabilities, their implementation is usually postponed. This paper is one of the first attempts in the literature to quantify the costs of delaying fiscal consolidation in an EMC. Using the International Monetary Fund's Global Fiscal Model, we find that early consolidation through expenditure cuts results in a substantial increase in Israel's long-term output growth over delayed fiscal adjustment. Moreover, the more flexible are the factor markets, the larger is this output gain.
Volume (Year): 43 (2007)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111024|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- International Monetary Fund, 2004. "Israel; Report on Observance of Standards and Codes-Fiscal Transparency Module," IMF Staff Country Reports 04/112, International Monetary Fund.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984.
"Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons,"
NBER Working Papers
1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dirk V Muir & Douglas Laxton & Dennis P Botman & Andrei Romanov, 2006. "A New-Open-Economy Macro Model for Fiscal Policy Evaluation," IMF Working Papers 06/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "Overlapping families of infinitely-lived agents," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 183-198, March.
- Alberto Alesina & Allan Drazen, 1989.
"Why are Stabilizations Delayed?,"
NBER Working Papers
3053, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Laxton & Susanna Mursula & Michael Kumhof & Dirk V Muir, 2010. "The Global Integrated Monetary and Fiscal Model (GIMF) â€“ Theoretical Structure," IMF Working Papers 10/34, International Monetary Fund.
- Perotti, Roberto, 1998. " The Political Economy of Fiscal Consolidations," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(1), pages 367-94, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mes:emfitr:v:43:y:2007:i:6:p:67-86. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.