Toward a Heterodox Approach: Reconciling Stabilization and Economic Growth in Pakistan
This article attempts to show that a strategy for accelerated growth for Pakistan is both necessary and feasible. Pakistan’s macroeconomic conditions are broadly similar to some of its more rapidly growing neighbors. The country’s macroeconomic imbalances and inflation need to be brought down, but the required adjustment does not entail precipitate action, which could further depress the economy. We develop a “Heterodox Scenario,” which shows that macroeconomic adjustments can be phased in over the next few years and will be easier to make if the economy were to grow more rapidly. For accelerated growth to materialize, as a minimum, determined steps are needed to overcome the energy crisis, sharply raise the investment rate—particularly, private investment—and strengthen Pakistan’s competitiveness in the world market. A national strategy is needed toward that end.
Volume (Year): 17 (2012)
Issue (Month): Special Edition (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Intersection Main Boulevard Phase VI DHA and Burki Road, Lahore|
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stanley Fischer, 1993.
"The Role of Macroeconomic Factors in Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Andres Solimano, 1993.
"Economic Instability and Aggregate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
4380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andrés., 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Working papers 3552-93., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andres, 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1148, The World Bank.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1993.
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 1-44, January.
- Amjad, Rashid & Din, Musleh-ud & Qayyum, Abdul, 2011.
"Pakistan: Breaking out of stagflation into sustained growth,"
33812, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rashid Amjad Chaudhry & Musleh ud Din & Abdul Qayyum, 2011. "Pakistan: Breaking Out of Stagflation into Sustained Growth," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 16(Special E), pages 13-30, September.
- Raphael A Espinoza & Ananthakrishnan Prasad & Gene L. Leon, 2010. "Estimating The Inflationâ€“Growth Nexusâ€”A Smooth Transition Model," IMF Working Papers 10/76, International Monetary Fund.
- J. J. Polak, 1997. "The IMF Monetary Model At Forty," IMF Working Papers 97/49, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lje:journl:v:17:y:2012:i:sp:p:1-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.