Relationship between inflation and economic growth in Azerbaijani economy: is there any threshold effect?
The study examines possibility of threshold effect of inflation on economic growth over the period of 2000-2009. Estimated threshold model indicates that there is a non-linear relationship between economic growth and inflation in the Azerbaijani economy and threshold level of inflation for GDP growth is 13 percent. Below threshold level inflation has statistically significant positive effect on GDP growth, but this positive relationship becomes negative one when inflation exceeds 13 percent. Results of the study may be useful for monetary policymakers in terms of keeping inflation below the threshold level of 13 percent to prevent its negative effect on economic growth.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Asian Journal of Business and Management Sciences No1.1(2011): pp. 1-11|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kremer, Stephanie & Bick, Alexander & Nautz, Dieter, 2009.
"Inflation and growth: new evidence from a dynamic panel threshold analysis,"
2009/9, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Stephanie Kremer & Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2013. "Inflation and growth: new evidence from a dynamic panel threshold analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 861-878, April.
- Stephanie Kremer & Alexander Bick & Dieter Nautz, 2009. "Inflation and Growth: New Evidence From a Dynamic Panel Threshold Analysis," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-036, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Michael Sarel, 1996. "Nonlinear Effects of Inflation on Economic Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(1), pages 199-215, March.
- Nasir Iqbal & Saima Nawaz, 2009.
"Investment, Inflation and Economic Growth Nexus,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 48(4), pages 863–874.
- Qaiser Munir & Kasim Mansur, 2009. "Non-Linearity between Inflation Rate and GDP Growth in Malaysia," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 1555-1569.
- Martin Feldstein, 1980.
"Inflation, Tax Rules, and Investment: Some Econometric Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
0577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein, 1983. "Inflation, Tax Rules, and Investment: Some Econometric Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: Inflation, Tax Rules, and Capital Formation, pages 243-286 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1982. "Inflation, Tax Rules and Investment: Some Econometric Evidence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 825-62, July.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
- David, Drukker & Pedro, Gomis-Porqueras & Paula, Hernandez -erme, 2005. "Threshold effects in the relationship between inflation and growth: a new panel-data approach," MPRA Paper 38225, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Raphael A. Espinoza & Ananthakrishnan Prasad & Gene L. Leon, 2010. "Estimating The Inflationâ€“Growth Nexusâ€”A Smooth Transition Model," IMF Working Papers 10/76, International Monetary Fund.
- FABAYO, Joseph Ademola & AJILORE, Olubanjo Taiwo, 2006. "Inflation: How Much Is Too Much For Economic Growth in Nigeria," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 41(2), pages 129-147, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33494. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.