An Investigation of the Effectiveness of Financial Development in Pakistan
This study attempts to discern the relationship between economic and financial development in Pakistan for the period 1973 - 2006. Vector error-correction modeling is used toidentify the causality between economic and financial development and the exogeneity of the variable(s) in the model. These error correction terms have been derived from Johansen’s multivariate cointegrating procedure. Results indicate that, in the long run, economic development causes financial development. Furthermore, the real output variable is found to beexogenous. Thus, financial development is seen to be ineffective in terms of economic development determination in Pakistan.
Volume (Year): 13 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (Jul-Dec)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Intersection Main Boulevard Phase VI DHA and Burki Road, Lahore|
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ang, James B. & McKibbin, Warwick J., 2007.
"Financial liberalization, financial sector development and growth: Evidence from Malaysia,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 215-233, September.
- James B. Ang & Warwick J. McKibbin, 2005. "Financial Liberalization, Financial Sector Development And Growth: Evidence From Malaysia," CAMA Working Papers 2005-05, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Arestis, Philip, et al, 2002.
"The Impact of Financial Liberalization Policies on Financial Development: Evidence from Developing Economies,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 109-21, April.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos O. Demetriades & Bassam Fattouh & Kostas Mouratidis, 2002. "The Impact of Financial Liberalisation Policies on Financial Development Evidence from Developing Economies," Discussion Papers in Economics 02/1, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Chien-Hsun Chen, 2002. "Interest rates, savings and income in the Chinese economy," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 59-74, January.
- Christopoulos, Dimitris K. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2004. "Financial development and economic growth: evidence from panel unit root and cointegration tests," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 55-74, February.
- Arestis, Philip & Demetriades, Panicos O, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 783-99, May.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Philip Arestis, 1996. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 96/16, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Shandre M. Thangavelu & Ang Beng Jiunn & James, 2004. "Financial development and economic growth in Australia: An empirical analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 247-260, 05.
- César Calderón & Lin Liu, 2002.
"The Direction of Causality Between Financial Development and Economic Growth,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
184, Central Bank of Chile.
- Calderon, Cesar & Liu, Lin, 2003. "The direction of causality between financial development and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 321-334, October.
- Min Shrestha & Khorshed Chowdhury, 2007. "Testing financial liberalization hypothesis with ARDL modelling approach," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(18), pages 1529-1540.
- Roger Atindehou & Jean Pierre Gueyie & Edoh Kossi Amenounve, 2005. "Financial intermediation and economic growth: evidence from Western Africa," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(11), pages 777-790.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lje:journl:v:13:y:2008:i:2:p:27-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.