Transmission and inequality of wealth: An empirical study of wealth mobility from 1800 to 1938 in France
This paper endeavors to measure the intergenerational transmission of wealth inequalities over the 1800-1938 period. For this purpose, we have consulted historical data composed of wealth genealogies covering the 19th and first half of the 20th centuries. The database was created from families included in the "3,000 families" survey of those individuals residing in the Loire-Inférieure département. The empirical study reveals a relatively large degree of intergenerational immobility: those whose father had twice the average level of wealth themselves upon death leave behind 1.45 times the average wealth of their generation.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 4 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=111137|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kerwin Kofi Charles & Erik Hurst, 2003.
"The Correlation of Wealth across Generations,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(6), pages 1155-1182, December.
- Jagadeesh Gokhale & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & James Sefton & Martin Weale, 1998.
"Simulating the transmission of wealth inequality via bequests,"
9811, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Gokhale, Jagadeesh & Kotlikoff, Laurence J. & Sefton, James & Weale, Martin, 2001. "Simulating the transmission of wealth inequality via bequests," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 93-128, January.
- Jagadeesh Gokhale & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & James Sefton & Martin Weale, 1999. "Simulating the Transmission of Wealth Inequity via Bequests," NBER Working Papers 7183, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Bourguignon, F. & Morrisson, C., 1988. "Earnings mobility," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 619-632, March.
- Elise s. Brezis, 2002. "Fertility, Non-Altruism and Economic Growth: Industrialization in the Nineteenth Century," Working Papers 2002-14, Bar-Ilan University, Department of Economics.
- J. R. Kearl & Clayne L. Pope, 1981. "Intergenerational Effects of the Distribution of Income and Wealth: The Utah Experience, 1850-1900," NBER Working Papers 0754, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jecinq:v:4:y:2006:i:2:p:209-232. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.