Combining Risk and Responsibility Perspectives: First Steps
Business activity can be analyzed through a ‘risk awareness’ perspective and a ‘responsibility awareness’ perspective. However, risk and responsibility are actually interdependent. Risk-taking triggers responsibility issues and taking responsibility means risking being asked critical questions. This article suggests some first steps for combining these two perspectives conceptually. After several introductory illustrations showing how risk and responsibility issues are intertwined, the article looks separately each at risk and at responsibility. Then the argument that such perspectives could be usefully combined is elaborated further from a theoretical angle and from a practical angle, by looking at various ethical issues and by presenting paradigmatic examples of balancing or sharing risk and responsibility related to leadership, to ERM and to insurance. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2013
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Lesch & Johannes Brinkmann, 2011. "Consumer Insurance Fraud/Abuse as Co-creation and Co-responsibility: A New Paradigm," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 103(1), pages 17-32, April.
- Thomas Beschorner, 2006. "Ethical Theory and Business Practices: The Case of Discourse Ethics," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 66(1), pages 127-139, June.
- Gustafson, Andrew, 2000. "Making Sense of Postmodern Business Ethics," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(03), pages 645-658, July.
- Stansbury, Jason, 2009. "Reasoned Moral Agreement: Applying Discourse Ethics within Organizations," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 33-56, January.
- Johannes Brinkmann & Patrick Lentz, 2006. "Understanding Insurance Customer Dishonesty: Outline of a Moral-Sociological Approach," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 66(2), pages 177-195, 06.
- Nafsika Athanassoulis & Allison Ross, 2010. "A virtue ethical account of making decisions about risk," Journal of Risk Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 217-230, March.
- Rawls, John, 1974. "Some Reasons for the Maximin Criterion," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(2), pages 141-46, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:112:y:2013:i:4:p:567-583. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.