Reducing Public Debt under Dynamic Efficiency: Transitional Dynamics in Diamond's OLG Model
Fiscal retrenchment is on the political agenda in the U.S. as well as in the EU. Utilizing Diamond's [ 1965 ] classic OLG growth model with internal debt, this paper focuses on temporarily adjusting the ratio of the primary budget surplus to GDP to achieve a target debt to GDP ratio lower than its initial level in the case of dynamic efficiency. The transitional dynamics of the debt to GDP and of the capital–output ratios are rigorously analyzed. It is shown that reducing the public debt to GDP ratio diminishes private capital intensity too. Copyright IAES 2006
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 34 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (404) 965-1555
Fax: (404) 965-1556
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=112055
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kahn, Charles M, 1980. "The Solution of Linear Difference Models under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1305-11, July.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 940-71, October.
- Ghate, Chetan & Zak, Paul J., 2002.
"Growth of government and the politics of fiscal policy,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 435-455, December.
- Chetan Ghate & Paul J. Zak, . "Growth of Government And The Politics of Fiscal Policy," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2000-19, Claremont Colleges.
- Meijdam, A.C. & van de Ven, M.E.A.J. & Verbon, H.A.A., 1996.
"The dynamics of government debt,"
Other publications TiSEM
fe596a12-d037-49c2-817b-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Skilling, David & Zeckhauser, Richard J., 2002. "Political competition and debt trajectories in Japan and the OECD," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 121-135, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521001151 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:atlecj:v:34:y:2006:i:2:p:195-208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.