Monthly Pattern and Portfolio Effect on Higher Moments of Stock Returns: Empirical Evidence from Hong Kong
Using a direct test, this paper studies the month-of-the-year effect on the higher moments of six industrial stock indices of the Hong Kong market. We also examine the portfolio effect on skewness and kurtosis across month of the year to see if such an anomaly exists. The empirical results support a weak month-of-the-year effect in higher moments of stock returns. Using a complete sample of all possible combinations for each portfolio size, we show that portfolio effect varies across month of the year for both skewness and kurtosis. In particular, our results show that diversification does not necessarily provide benefits to rational investors when the stock return distribution is non-normal, even though portfolio formation can reduce standard deviation. In June, August and October, diversification across industrial sectors results in a more negatively skewed and leptokurtic return distribution, which is not preferred by investors with risk-aversion. Two (one) possible explanations for the portfolio effect on skewness (kurtosis) are also provided. Our empirical results add new evidence to the existence of anomalies in the Hong Kong stock market. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998
Volume (Year): 5 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.jafee.gr.jp/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/finance/journal/10690/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raj Aggarwal & Ramesh P. Rao & Takato Hiraki, 1989.
"Skewness And Kurtosis In Japanese Equity Returns: Empirical Evidence,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 12(3), pages 253-260, 09.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Rao, Ramesh P & Hiraki, Takato, 1989. "Skewness and Kurtosis in Japanese Equity Returns: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 12(3), pages 253-260, Fall.
- Brown, Philip & Keim, Donald B. & Kleidon, Allan W. & Marsh, Terry A., 1983. "Stock return seasonalities and the tax-loss selling hypothesis : Analysis of the arguments and Australian evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 105-127, June.
- Scott, Robert C & Horvath, Philip A, 1980. " On the Direction of Preference for Moments of Higher Order Than the Variance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(4), pages 915-919, September.
- Kato, Kiyoshi & Schallheim, James S., 1985. "Seasonal and Size Anomalies in the Japanese Stock Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 243-260, June.
- Corhay, Albert & Hawawini, Gabriel & Michel, Pierre, 1987. " Seasonality in the Risk-Return Relationship: Some International Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 49-68, March.
- Officer, R. R., 1975. "Seasonality in Australian capital markets : Market efficiency and empirical issues," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-51, March.
- Simkowitz, Michael A. & Beedles, William L., 1978. "Diversification in a Three-Moment World," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 927-941, December.
- Singleton, J. Clay & Wingender, John, 1986. "Skewness Persistence in Common Stock Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(03), pages 335-341, September.
- Gultekin, Mustafa N. & Gultekin, N. Bulent, 1983. "Stock market seasonality : International Evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 469-481, December.
- Rozeff, Michael S. & Kinney, William Jr., 1976. "Capital market seasonality: The case of stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 379-402, October.
- Tinic, Seha M. & West, Richard R., 1984. "Risk and return : Janaury vs. the rest of the year," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 561-574, December.
- Reinganum, Marc R & Shapiro, Alan C, 1987. "Taxes and Stock Return Seasonality: Evidence from the London Stock Exchange," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(2), pages 281-295, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:apfinm:v:5:y:1998:i:3:p:275-307. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.