Testing the local volatility assumption: a statistical approach
In practice, the choice of using a local volatility model or a stochastic volatility model is made according to their respective ability to fit implied volatility surfaces. In this paper, we adopt an opposite point of view. Indeed, based on historical data, we design a statistical procedure aiming at testing the assumption of a local volatility model for the price dynamics, against the alternative of a stochastic volatility model.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 8 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/finance/journal/10436/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barndorff-Nielsen, Ole Eiler & Graversen, Svend Erik & Jacod, Jean & Podolskij, Mark, 2004.
"A central limit theorem for realised power and bipower variations of continuous semimartingales,"
2004,51, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Ole Barndorff-Nielsen & Svend Erik Graversen & Jean Jacod & Mark Podolskij & Neil Shephard, 2004. "A Central Limit Theorem for Realised Power and Bipower Variations of Continuous Semimartingales," Economics Papers 2004-W29, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ole BARNDORFF-NIELSEN & Svend Erik GRAVERSEN & Jean JACOD & Mark PODOLSKIJ & Neil SHEPHARD, 2004. "A Central Limit Theorem for Realised Power and Bipower Variations of Continuous Semimartingales," OFRC Working Papers Series 2004fe21, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Silja Kinnebrock & Mark Podolskij, 2007.
"A Note on the Central Limit Theorem for Bipower Variation of General Functions,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2007fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Kinnebrock, Silja & Podolskij, Mark, 2008. "A note on the central limit theorem for bipower variation of general functions," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 118(6), pages 1056-1070, June.
- Kristensen, Dennis, 2010.
"Nonparametric Filtering Of The Realized Spot Volatility: A Kernel-Based Approach,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 60-93, February.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2007. "Nonparametric Filtering of the Realised Spot Volatility: A Kernel-based Approach," CREATES Research Papers 2007-02, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Vetter, Mathias & Podolskij, Mark & Dette, Holger, 2004.
"Estimation of integrated volatility in continuous time financial models with applications to goodness-of-fit testing,"
2004,32, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Holger Dette & Mark Podolskij & Mathias Vetter, 2006. "Estimation of Integrated Volatility in Continuous-Time Financial Models with Applications to Goodness-of-Fit Testing," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(2), pages 259-278.
- Dette, Holger & Podolskij, Mark, 2005. "Testing the parametric form of the volatility in continuous time diffusion models: an empirical process approach," Technical Reports 2005,50, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:annfin:v:8:y:2012:i:1:p:31-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.