Testing the local volatility assumption: a statistical approach
In practice, the choice of using a local volatility model or a stochastic volatility model is made according to their respective ability to fit implied volatility surfaces. In this paper, we adopt an opposite point of view. Indeed, based on historical data, we design a statistical procedure aiming at testing the assumption of a local volatility model for the price dynamics, against the alternative of a stochastic volatility model.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kristensen, Dennis, 2010.
"Nonparametric Filtering Of The Realized Spot Volatility: A Kernel-Based Approach,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 60-93, February.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2007. "Nonparametric Filtering of the Realised Spot Volatility: A Kernel-based Approach," CREATES Research Papers 2007-02, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Ole BARNDORFF-NIELSEN & Svend Erik GRAVERSEN & Jean JACOD & Mark PODOLSKIJ & Neil SHEPHARD, 2004.
"A Central Limit Theorem for Realised Power and Bipower Variations of Continuous Semimartingales,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2004fe21, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Neil Shephard, 2004. "A Central Limit Theorem for Realised Power and Bipower Variations of Continuous Semimartingales," Economics Series Working Papers 2004-FE-21, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ole Barndorff-Nielsen & Svend Erik Graversen & Jean Jacod & Mark Podolskij & Neil Shephard, 2004. "A Central Limit Theorem for Realised Power and Bipower Variations of Continuous Semimartingales," Economics Papers 2004-W29, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Barndorff-Nielsen, Ole Eiler & Graversen, Svend Erik & Jacod, Jean & Podolskij, Mark, 2004. "A central limit theorem for realised power and bipower variations of continuous semimartingales," Technical Reports 2004,51, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Holger Dette & Mark Podolskij & Mathias Vetter, 2006.
"Estimation of Integrated Volatility in Continuous-Time Financial Models with Applications to Goodness-of-Fit Testing,"
Scandinavian Journal of Statistics,
Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(2), pages 259-278.
- Vetter, Mathias & Podolskij, Mark & Dette, Holger, 2004. "Estimation of integrated volatility in continuous time financial models with applications to goodness-of-fit testing," Technical Reports 2004,32, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Kinnebrock, Silja & Podolskij, Mark, 2008.
"A note on the central limit theorem for bipower variation of general functions,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 118(6), pages 1056-1070, June.
- Silja Kinnebrock & Mark Podolskij, 2007. "A Note on the Central Limit Theorem for Bipower Variation of General Functions," OFRC Working Papers Series 2007fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Dette, Holger & Podolskij, Mark, 2005. "Testing the parametric form of the volatility in continuous time diffusion models: an empirical process approach," Technical Reports 2005,50, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:annfin:v:8:y:2012:i:1:p:31-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.