Shopping Center Rentals: An Empirical Analysis of the Retail Tenant Mix
This paper concentrates on the economic importance of the retail tenant mixture within shopping centers, and provides empirical evidence of the influence of tenant type on base rentals. The sample examined comprises 293 New Zealand shopping center leases. The results indicate that for some generic types of retail tenant (but not all), the type is an important determinant of shopping center base rents. It is also found that base rents decrease in size and increase with center turnover. Occupancy costs are tentatively found to be a negative determinant of base rents. These results are generally supportive of the recent shopping center space allocation theories of Brueckner (1993) and Eppli and Shilling (1993). The article also has several implications for the analysis of evidence in the rent review process.
Volume (Year): 15 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brueckner, Jan K, 1993. "Inter-store Externalities and Space Allocation in Shopping Centers," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 5-16, July.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
- John D. Benjamin & Glenn W. Boyle & C. F. Sirmans, 1990. "Retail Leasing: The Determinants of Shopping Center Rents," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 302-312.
- C.F. Sirmans & Krisandra A. Guidry, 1993. "The Determinants of Shopping Center Rents," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(1), pages 107-116.
- Mark J. Eppli & John D. Benjamin, 1994. "The Evolution of Shopping Center Research: A Review and Analysis," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(1), pages 5-32.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:15:n:3:1998:p:283-296. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.