Validating multiple-period density-forecasting models
This paper examines the problem of how to validate multiple-period density forecasting models. Such models are more difficult to validate than their single-period equivalents, because consecutive observations are subject to common shocks that undermine i.i.d. The paper examines various solutions to this problem, and proposes a new solution based on the application of standard tests to a resample that is constructed to be i.i.d. It suggests that this solution is superior to alternatives, and presents results indicating that tests based on the i.i.d. resample approach have good power. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 26 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berkowitz, Jeremy, 2001. "Testing Density Forecasts, with Applications to Risk Management," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(4), pages 465-474, October.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-144, January.
- Efstathios Paparoditis & Dimitris N. Politis, 2002. "The tapered block bootstrap for general statistics from stationary sequences," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(1), pages 131-148, June.
- Anthony Tay & Kenneth F. Wallis, 2000. "Density Forecasting: A Survey," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0370, Econometric Society.
- M. C. Jones & M. J. Faddy, 2003. "A skew extension of the "t"-distribution, with applications," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(1), pages 159-174.
- Kenneth F. Wallis, 2004. "An Assessment of Bank of England and National Institute Inflation Forecast Uncertainties," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 189(1), pages 64-71, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jof:jforec:v:26:y:2007:i:4:p:251-270. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.