Ex post and ex ante prediction of unobserved multivariate time series: a structural-model based approach
A methodology for estimating high-frequency values of an unobserved multivariate time series from low-frequency values of and related information to it is presented in this paper. This is an optimal solution, in the multivariate setting, to the problem of ex post prediction, disaggregation, benchmarking or signal extraction of an unobservable stochastic process. Also, the problem of extrapolation or ex ante prediction is optimally solved and, in this context, statistical tests are developed for checking online the ocurrence of extreme values of the unobserved time series and consistency of future benchmarks with the present and past observed information. The procedure is based on structural or unobserved component models, whose assumptions and specification are validated with the data alone. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 26 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F. Javier Fernandez Macho & Andrew C. Harvey & James H. Stock, 1987. "Forecasting and Interpolation Using Vector Autoregressions with Common Trends," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 6-7, pages 279-287.
- Nieto, Fabio H. & Guerrero, Victor M., 1995. "Kalman filter for singular and conditional state-space models when the system state and the observational error are correlated," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 303-310, March.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1987:i:6-7:p:12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Víctor Guerrero & Fabio Nieto, 1999. "Temporal and contemporaneous disaggregation of multiple economic time series," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 8(2), pages 459-489, December.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1987:i:6-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chow, Gregory C & Lin, An-loh, 1971.
"Best Linear Unbiased Interpolation, Distribution, and Extrapolation of Time Series by Related Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 53(4), pages 372-75, November.
- Tom Doan, . "DISAGGREGATE: RATS procedure to implement general disaggregation (interpolation/distribution) procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00050, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "CHOWLIN: RATS procedure to distribute a series to a higher frequency using related series," Statistical Software Components RTS00036, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jof:jforec:v:26:y:2007:i:1:p:53-76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.