Assessing the Rationality of Survey Expectations: The Probability Approach
This paper considers popular methods for the quantification of survey expectations. We investigate the asymptotic properties of two variants of the probability approach originally suggested by Carlson and Parkin (1975). It is argued that the traditional method can be interpreted as an instrumental variable estimator that suffers from a severe loss of efficiency if the mean of the target variable is close to zero. The regression approach advocated by Pesaran (1984) can be seen as a special case assuming that expectations of survey participants are uniformly distributed. Applying alternative variants of these approaches to the ZEW survey of expected changes in the inflation rate demonstrates that the regression variant of the Carlson-Parkin methodology yields the best fit to the realized changes of the inflation rate. It turns out, however, that even the best performing quantification method fails to fulfill the requirement of rational expectations, as the variance of the expectation error is significantly reduced by including additional variables such as the lagged inflation rate.
Volume (Year): 228 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5-6 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Lahiri, Kajal, 1992. "A Comparative Study of Alternative Methods of Quantifying Qualitative Survey Responses Using NAPM Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(4), pages 391-400, October.
- Batchelor, R. A., 1981. "Aggregate expectations under the stable laws," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 199-210, June.
- Luca Gambetti & Jordi Galí, 2009.
"On the Sources of the Great Moderation,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 26-57, January.
- Jordi Galí & Luca Gambetti, 2006. "On the sources of the Great Moderation," Economics Working Papers 1041, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 2007.
- Jordi Gali & Luca Gambetti, 2008. "On the Sources of the Great Moderation," NBER Working Papers 14171, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galí, Jordi & Gambetti, Luca, 2008. "On the Sources of the Great Moderation," CEPR Discussion Papers 6632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-856, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Harvey, David I & Leybourne, Stephen J & Newbold, Paul, 1998. "Tests for Forecast Encompassing," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 254-259, April.
- Friedrich Heinemann & Katrin Ullrich, 2006.
"The Impact of EMU on Inflation Expectations,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 175-195, April.
- Heinemann, Friedrich & Ullrich, Katrin, 2004. "The Impact of EMU on Inflation Expectations," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-01, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Breitung, Jörg, 1988. "Estimating Binary Probit Models under First Order Serial Correlation," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-124, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Michela Nardo, 2003. "The Quantification of Qualitative Survey Data : A Critical Assessment," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 645-668, December.
- Carlson, John A & Parkin, J Michael, 1975. "Inflation Expectations," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(166), pages 123-138, May.
- Fishe, Raymond P. H. & Lahiri, Kajal, 1981. "On the estimation of inflationary expectations from qualitative responses," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 89-102, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)