Potenziale und Grenzen eines nutzenbasierten ökonomischen Leitbildes für die amtliche Inflationsmessung / What Role Should Economic Reasoning Play in the Compilation of the Official Consumer Price Index?
This paper addresses the question, What role should economic reasoning play in the compilation of the official consumer price index (CPI) ? It is argued that economic theory has developed some extremely helpful techniques such as the economic cost of living index (COLI). However, by contending that the COLI should provide the only conceptual framework for a CPI, too much is expected from it. The COLI’s theoretical and practical limitations require us to find supplementary guidance outside the COLI framework. Furthermore, a consistent, fast, and reliable computational method for a COLI is not yet in sight. Therefore, the CPI must be computed by some sort of statistical price index (SP).
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 225 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuelson, Paul A & Swamy, S, 1974. "Invariant Economic Index Numbers and Canonical Duality: Survey and Synthesis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(4), pages 566-93, September.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Hoffmann, Johannes, 1998. "Probleme der Inflationsmessung in Deutschland," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 1998,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Triplett, Jack E, 2001. "Should the Cost-of-Living Index Provide the Conceptual Framework for a Consumer Price Index?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(472), pages F311-34, June.
- Auer Ludwig von, 2004. "Consistency in Aggregation / Aggregationskonsistenz," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 224(4), pages 383-398, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:225:y:2005:i:3:p:283-302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.