Poverty Measurement Under Income Risk
Poverty indices are usually calculated on the basis of (cross section) income data from the past. As past income is fixed and future income is uncertain such measurement does not reflect the ex ante risk of falling into poverty. This paper presents refinements of commonly used poverty measures to account for income risk. It is shown that the standard headcount ratio underestimates poverty in societies with moderate poverty if income is risky. The Foster, Greer and Thorbecke measure always underestimates poverty if income risk is neglected.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 224 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen|
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mary Jo Bane & David T. Ellwood, 1986. "Slipping into and out of Poverty: The Dynamics of Spells," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 21(1), pages 1-23.
- Bird, Edward J, 1995. "An Exploratory Comparison of Income Risk in Germany and the United States," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 41(4), pages 405-26, December.
- Simon Burgess & Karen Gardiner & Stephen Jenkins & Carol Propper, 2000.
"Measuring income risk,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
51327, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Simon Burgess & Karen Gardiner & Stephen P Jenkins & Carol Propper, 2000. "Measuring Income Risk," CASE Papers case40, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Burgess, Simon & Gardiner, Karin & Jenkins, Stephen P & Propper, Carol, 2000. "Measuring Income Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 2512, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simon Burgess & Karen Gardiner & Stephen P. Jenkins & Carol Propper, 2000. "Measuring Income Risk," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 213, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Simon Burgess & Karen Gardiner & Stephen P. Jenkins & Carol Propper, 2000. "Measuring income risk," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6450, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Richard Blundell & Thomas M. Stoker, 1994.
"Consumption and the timing of income risk,"
IFS Working Papers
W94/09, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Ian Preston, 1997.
"Consumption, inequality and income uncertainty,"
IFS Working Papers
W97/15, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ann Huff Stevens, 1999.
"Climbing out of Poverty, Falling Back in: Measuring the Persistence of Poverty Over Multiple Spells,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(3), pages 557-588.
- Ann Huff Stevens, 1995. "Climbing Out of Poverty, Falling Back In: Measuring the Persistence of Poverty over Multiple Spells," NBER Working Papers 5390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 1996.
"Income Risk, Borrowing Constraints, and Portfolio Choice,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 158-72, March.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 1994. "Income Risk, Borrowing Constraints and Portfolio Choice," CEPR Discussion Papers 888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stevens, Ann Huff, 1994. "The Dynamics of Poverty Spells: Updating Bane and Ellwood," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 34-37, May.
- Udo Ebert & Patrick Moyes, 2002. "A Simple Axiomatization of the Foster, Greer and Thorbecke Poverty Orderings," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(4), pages 455-473, October.
- Gabbert, Silke & Weikard, Hans-Peter, 2001. "How widespread is undernourishment?: A critique of measurement methods and new empirical results," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 209-228, June.
- Bird, Edward J & Hagstrom, Paul A, 1999. "The Wealth Effects of Income Insurance," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 45(3), pages 339-52, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:224:y:2004:i:3:p:337-350. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.