Inward FDI in seven transitional countries of South-Eastern Europe: a quest of institution-based attractiveness
The main question we address is whether the weak FDI level in the SEE-7 is linked to ill-adapted institutions or not. In order to answer it, we need to understand the role of institutions in shaping a strong localization advantage for FDI. We develop a theoretical framework to understand the relationship between Transition, Institutions and inward FDI. We assume that the ability to attract FDI depends on the local institutional arrangement. We present our pattern of institutional arrangement that may help us understand why, in spite of identical institutions, countries attract a different level of FDI. We split the SEE into two categories of host countries, each category being characterized by a specific institutional arrangement and level of FDI. We conclude with the relevance of our proposition to develop an analytical framework where FDI is the outcome of a new and well-adapted institutional arrangement
Volume (Year): 1(2) (2010)
Issue (Month): (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cse.uaic.ro|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2007:i:33:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kamal Upadhyaya & Franklin Mixon, Jr. & Dharmendra Dhakal, 2007. "Foreign direct investment and transition economies: empirical evidence from a panel data estimator," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(33), pages 1-9.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2007.
"Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5), pages 764-782, 05.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2005. "Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 2005-05, CEPII research center.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Maylis Coupet & Thierry Mayer, 2007. "Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00268751, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jes:journl:y:2010:v:1:p:71-97. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alupului Ciprian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.