Not all smooth sailing: Barriers to small business success for owner/managers from Middle Eastern communities in Melbourne
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Everett, Jim & Watson, John, 1998. "Small Business Failure and External Risk Factors," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 371-390, December.
- Rachida Justo & CRISTINA CRUZ & Julio De Castro, 2006. "EntrepreneursÂ´ perceptions of success: examining differences across gender and family status," Working Papers Economia wp06-07, Instituto de Empresa, Area of Economic Environment.
- Bates, Timothy, 2005.
"Analysis of young, small firms that have closed: delineating successful from unsuccessful closures,"
Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 343-358, May.
- Timothy Bates, 2002. "Analysis of Young Small Firms That Have Closed: Delineating Successful from Unsuccessful Closures," Working Papers 02-24, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Charles Perreault & Gabrielle A. Brenner & Teresa V. Menzies & Louis Jacques Filion & Charles Ramangalahy, 2007. "Social capital and business performance: ethnic enterprises in Canada," International Journal of Business and Globalisation, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(2), pages 145-160.
- Alicia Robb & Robert Fairlie, 2006.
"Determinants of Business Success: An Examination of Asian-Owned Businesses in the United States,"
06-32, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Alicia M. Robb & Robert W. Fairlie, 2008. "Determinants of Business Success: An Examination of Asian-Owned Businesses in the United States," CEPR Discussion Papers 569, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Robb, Alicia & Fairlie, Robert W., 2007. "Determinants of Business Success: An Examination of Asian-Owned Businesses in the United States," IZA Discussion Papers 2566, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Jock Collins, 1996. "Ethnic Small Business and Employment Creation in Australia in the 1990s," Working Paper Series 71, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Platt, Harlan D., 1989. "The determinants of interindustry failure," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 107-126, May.
- Platt, Harlan D. & Platt, Marjorie B., 1994. "Business cycle effects on state corporate failure rates," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 113-127, May.
- Jo-Hui Chen & Martin Williams, 1999. "The determinants of business failures in the US low-technology and high-technology industries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(12), pages 1551-1563.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Amankwah-Amoah, Joseph, 2016. "An integrative process model of organisational failure," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(9), pages 3388-3397.
- Khelil, Nabil, 2016. "The many faces of entrepreneurial failure: Insights from an empirical taxonomy," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 72-94.
- Ioana Maria BUCERZAN, 2015. "The Propagation Of Insolvency Among Business In Romania," EURINT, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 2, pages 64-79.
- Nico Dewaelheyns & Cynthia Hulle, 2008. "Legal reform and aggregate small and micro business bankruptcy rates: evidence from the 1997 Belgian bankruptcy code," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 409-424, December.
- Edmundo Escrivão Filho & Alexandre Farias Albuquerque & Marcelo Seido Nagano & Luiz Adalberto Philippsen Junior & Jair de Oliveira, 2017. "Identifying SME mortality factors in the life cycle stages: an empirical approach of relevant factors for small business owner-managers in Brazil," Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, Springer;UNESCO Chair in Entrepreneurship, vol. 7(1), pages 1-15, December.
- Artur Raimundo Dias & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2014. "The Anatomy of Business Failure. A Qualitative Account of its Implications for Future Business Success," FEP Working Papers 550, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Alexandre Farias Albuquerque & Edmundo Escrivão Filho & Marcelo Seido Nagano & Luiz Adalberto Philippsen Junior, 2016. "A change in the importance of mortality factors throughout the life cycle stages of small businesses," Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, Springer;UNESCO Chair in Entrepreneurship, vol. 6(1), pages 1-18, December.
- Maté-Sánchez-Val, Mariluz & López-Hernandez, Fernando & Rodriguez Fuentes, Christian Camilo, 2018. "Geographical factors and business failure: An empirical study from the Madrid metropolitan area," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 275-283.
- Martin Lukeš & Jan Zouhar, 2016. "The Causes of Early-Stage Entrepreneurial Discontinuance," Prague Economic Papers, Prague University of Economics and Business, vol. 2016(1), pages 19-36.
- Nobuyuki Harada, 2007. "Which Firms Exit and Why? An Analysis of Small Firm Exits in Japan," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 401-414, December.
- Henryk Gurgul & Paweł Zając, 2014. "The impact of alterations in the local insolvency legislation on business bankruptcy rates in Poland," Statistics in Transition new series, Główny Urząd Statystyczny (Polska), vol. 15(3), pages 453-466, June.
- Clara Cardone-Riportella & María José Casasola-Martinez & Isabel Feito-Ruiz, 2014. "Do Entrepreneurs Come From Venus Or Mars? Impact Of Postgraduate Studies: Gender And Family Business Background," Working Papers 14.04, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Financial Economics and Accounting (former Department of Business Administration), revised Sep 2014.
- Justo, Rachida & DeTienne, Dawn R. & Sieger, Philipp, 2015. "Failure or voluntary exit? Reassessing the female underperformance hypothesis," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 775-792.
- Marcus Box & Karl Gratzer & Xiang Lin, 2020. "Destructive entrepreneurship in the small business sector: bankruptcy fraud in Sweden, 1830–2010," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 54(2), pages 437-457, February.
- Ornella Wanda Maietta & Fernanda Mazzotta, 2018. "Firm Survival and Innovation: Knowledge Context Matters!," CSEF Working Papers 496, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Mathilde Aubry & Jean Bonnet & Patricia Renou-Maissant, 2015.
"Entrepreneurship and the business cycle: the “Schumpeter” effect versus the “refugee” effect—a French appraisal based on regional data,"
The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 54(1), pages 23-55, January.
- Patricia Renou-Maissant & Jean Bonnet & Mathilde Aubry, 2015. "Entrepreneurship and the Business Cycle: the Schumpeter effect versus the refugee effect - A French appraisal based on regional data," Post-Print hal-02562517, HAL.
- Mathilde Aubry & Jean Bonnet & Patricia Renou-Maissant, 2015. "Entrepreneurship and the business cycle: the “Schumpeter” effect versus the “refugee” effect—a French appraisal based on regional data," Post-Print halshs-01101962, HAL.
- Paul A. Coomes & Jose Fernandez & Stephan F. Gohmann, 2013. "The Rate of Proprietorship Among Metropolitan Areas: The Impact of the Local Economic Environment and Capital Resources," Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, , vol. 37(4), pages 745-770, July.
- Lillian Cheung & Amnon Levy, 1998.
"An integrative analysis of business bankruptcy in Australia,"
Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 22(2), pages 149-167, June.
- Cheung, L. & Levy, A., 1998. "An Integrative Analysis of Business Bankruptcy in Australia," Economics Working Papers wp98-03, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Fabling, Richard & Grimes, Arthur, 2005.
"Insolvency and economic development: Regional variation and adjustment,"
Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 339-359.
- Richard Fabling & Arthur Grimes, 2004. "Insolvency and Economic Development:Regional Variation and Adjustment," Development and Comp Systems 0404006, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard Fabling & Arthur Grimes, 2004. "Insolvency and Economic Development: Regional Variation and Adjustment," Working Papers 03_18, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Alex Coad & Julian Frankish & Richard G. Roberts & David J. Storey, 2011. "Growth Paths and Survival Chances," SPRU Working Paper Series 195, SPRU - Science Policy Research Unit, University of Sussex Business School.
More about this item
KeywordsArab Speaking entrepreneur; Australia; Barriers; Entrepreneur; Entrepreneurship; Ethnic Entrepreneur; Ethnic Small Business; Melbourne; Middle East; Owner/managers; Small business; Small Business Success;
All these keywords.
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- L29 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Other
- M10 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - Business Administration - - - General
- N80 - Economic History - - Micro-Business History - - - General, International, or Comparative
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jda:journl:vol.49:year:2015:issue6:pp:293-304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/cbtnsus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Abu N.M. Wahid (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/cbtnsus.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.