The Dynamic Behavior of Chinese Housing Prices
The objective of this paper is to investigate the dynamic effects of fundamental factors on housing prices in China. We examine how quickly and strongly housing prices react to changes in these factors. We especially want to test whether these reactions change after China adopted a new system for granting land use rights in 2002. We find that the main fundamental explanatory factors explaining Chinese housing price variations are household disposable income, new-build supply, housing units sold, unemployment, and land prices. Among these factors, the most important one is land price. The effect of land prices on housing prices is especially enhanced after adoption of the new system for granting land use rights in 2002.
Volume (Year): 12 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael J. Potepan, 1996. "Explaining Intermetropolitan Variation in Housing Prices, Rents and Land Prices," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 219-245.
- Clapp John M. & Giaccotto Carmelo, 1994. "The Influence of Economic Variables on Local House Price Dynamics," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 161-183, September.
- Alan G. Ahearne & John Ammer & Brian M. Doyle & Linda S. Kole & Robert F. Martin, 2005.
"Monetary Policy and House Prices: A Cross-Country Study,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
344, Central Bank of Chile.
- Alan G. Ahearne & John Ammer & Brian M. Doyle & Linda S. Kole & Robert F. Martin, 2005. "Monetary policy and house prices: a cross-country study," International Finance Discussion Papers 841, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John M. Quigley, 1999. "Real Estate Prices and Economic Cycles," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 2(1), pages 1-20.
- Quigley, John M., 2002. "Real Estate Prices and Economic Cycles," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt58c6v2kx, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Norman Miller & Liang Peng, 2006. "Exploring Metropolitan Housing Price Volatility," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 5-18, August.
- G. Donald Jud & Dan T. Winkler, 2002. "The Dynamics of Metropolitan Housing Prices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 23(1/2), pages 29-46.
- Zhong-guo Zhou, 1997. "Forecasting Sales and Price for Existing Single-Family Homes: A VAR Model with Error Correction," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(2), pages 155-168.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1990. "Forecasting Prices and Excess Returns in the Housing Market," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 253-273.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1990. "Forecasting Prices and Excess Returns in the Housing Market," NBER Working Papers 3368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.