Public Policies and Public Resale Housing Prices in Singapore
In Singapore, the public resale housing market is an active second-hand housing market, whereby previously subsidised new public housing units were being transacted at market prices. In contrast to the private housing price determinants that have been identified in the international literature, the prices of public resale housing in Singapore are largely determined by public policies rather than by economic variables. This paper provides some empirical evidence on how and to what degree public housing policies affected the price dynamics of public resale housing in Singapore during the 1990s. The findings have additional implications of the wider consequences of public policies on the prices of private housing units.
Volume (Year): 5 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendershott, Patric H. & Cheng Hu, Sheng, 1981. "Inflation and extraordinary returns on owner-occupied housing: Some implications for capital allocation and productivity growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 177-203.
- Sock-Yong Phang & Wing-Keung Wong, 1997. "Government Policies and Private Housing Prices in Singapore," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 34(11), pages 1819-1829, November.
- James M. Poterba, 1984. "Tax Subsidies to Owner-Occupied Housing: An Asset-Market Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 99(4), pages 729-752.
- Dougherty, Ann & Van Order, Robert, 1982. "Inflation, Housing Costs, and the Consumer Price Index," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 154-64, March.
- Meen, Geoffrey P, 1990. "The Measurement of Rationing and the Treatment of Structural Change in the UK Mortgage Market," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 167-87, April-Jun.
- Ebrill, Liam P & Possen, Uri M, 1982. "Inflation and the Taxation of Equity in Corporations and Owner-Occupied Housing," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 14(1), pages 33-47, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:05:n:01:2002:p:115-132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Secretary Office/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.