Government Urban Growth Controls
Government controls on urban land use are as pervasive as death and taxes. Certainly, I have never been in or seen reference to a country that placed no or even almost no, controls on how owners could develop and use urban land. The most comprehensive study of urban housing development policies, Angel and Mayo (1996), which covers 53 countries that include 80 percent of the world’s population, included none that approximated free markets in housing.
Volume (Year): 5 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Epple, Dennis & Platt, Glenn J., 1998. "Equilibrium and Local Redistribution in an Urban Economy when Households Differ in both Preferences and Incomes," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 23-51, January.
- Thorsnes, Paul, 1997. "Consistent Estimates of the Elasticity of Substitution between Land and Non-Land Inputs in the Production of Housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 98-108, July.
- Hamilton, Bruce W., 1978. "Zoning and the exercise of monopoly power," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 116-130, January.
- Chang-Moo Lee & Peter Linneman, 1998. "Dynamics of the Greenbelt Amenity Effect on the Land Market-The Case of Seoul's Greenbelt," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(1), pages 107-129.
- Lawrence Hannah & Kyung-Hwan Kim & Edwin S. Mills, 1993. "Land Use Controls and Housing Prices in Korea," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 30(1), pages 147-156, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:05:n:01:2002:p:1-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Secretary Office/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.