Asset Pricing Model with Short-Sale Restrictions: The Case of Asian Property Markets
Asset pricing models have been used extensively in the recent real estate literature to evaluate real estate performance and estimate required rates of return of properties. In this paper, we show that the CAPM and its variants will derive a biased result when short sales are not allowed in the market. This problem is particularly serious for Asian property markets where investors are not able to short sell real estate indexes as a substitute for short selling real properties. We also demonstrate that the bias resulting from the short-sale constraint is related to the supply-and-demand conditions in the local market.
Volume (Year): 4 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Charles R & Schwert, G William, 1977. "Short-Term Interest Rates as Predictors of Inflation: On Testing the Hypothesis That the Real Rate of Interest is Constant," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 478-86, June.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Gibbons, Michael R., 1984. "A comparison of inflation forecasts," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 327-348, May.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Hoesli, M. & Macgregor, B. & Matysiak, G. & Nanthakumaran, N., 1996.
"The Short Term Inflation Hedging Characteristics of UK Real Estate,"
96.15, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, Universite de Geneve-.
- Hoesli, Martin, et al, 1997. "The Short-Term Inflation-Hedging Characteristics of U.K. Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 27-57, July.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Gibbons, Michael R., 1982. "Inflation, real returns and capital investment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 297-323.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1977. "Interest Rates and Inflation: The Message in the Entrails," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 487-96, June.
- K.C. Chen & Daniel D. Tzang, 1988. "Interest-Rate Sensitivity of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 3(3), pages 13-22.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1976. "Inflation Uncertainty and Expected Returns on Treasury Bills," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(3), pages 427-48, June.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Schwert, G. William, 1977. "Asset returns and inflation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 115-146, November.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1975. "Short-Term Interest Rates as Predictors of Inflation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 269-82, June.
- Jack H. Rubens & Michael T. Bond & James R. Webb, 1989. "The Inflation-Hedging Effectiveness of Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(2), pages 45-56.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1981. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 545-65, September.
- Hoesli, Martin, 1993.
"International evidence on real estate securities as an inflation hedge,"
eres1993_108, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Crocker H. Liu & David J. Hartzell & Martin E. Hoesli, 1997. "International Evidence on Real Estate Securities as an Inflation Hedge," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 193-221.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:04:n:01:2001:p:43-56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.