Asset Pricing Model with Short-Sale Restrictions: The Case of Asian Property Markets
Asset pricing models have been used extensively in the recent real estate literature to evaluate real estate performance and estimate required rates of return of properties. In this paper, we show that the CAPM and its variants will derive a biased result when short sales are not allowed in the market. This problem is particularly serious for Asian property markets where investors are not able to short sell real estate indexes as a substitute for short selling real properties. We also demonstrate that the bias resulting from the short-sale constraint is related to the supply-and-demand conditions in the local market.
Volume (Year): 4 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jack H. Rubens & Michael T. Bond & James R. Webb, 1989. "The Inflation-Hedging Effectiveness of Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(2), pages 45-56.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1975. "Short-Term Interest Rates as Predictors of Inflation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 269-282, June.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1981. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 545-565, September.
- Crocker H. Liu & David J. Hartzell & Martin E. Hoesli, 1997.
"International Evidence on Real Estate Securities as an Inflation Hedge,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 193-221.
- Martin Hoesli, 1993. "International evidence on real estate securities as an inflation hedge," ERES eres1993_108, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Fama, Eugene F. & Schwert, G. William, 1977. "Asset returns and inflation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 115-146, November.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1977. "Interest Rates and Inflation: The Message in the Entrails," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 487-496, June.
- Nelson, Charles R & Schwert, G William, 1977. "Short-Term Interest Rates as Predictors of Inflation: On Testing the Hypothesis That the Real Rate of Interest is Constant," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 478-486, June.
- K.C. Chen & Daniel D. Tzang, 1988. "Interest-Rate Sensitivity of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 3(3), pages 13-22.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Gibbons, Michael R., 1984. "A comparison of inflation forecasts," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 327-348, May.
- Hoesli, Martin & MacGregor, Bryan D. & Matysiak, George & Nanthakumaran, Nanda, 1997. "The Short-Term Inflation-Hedging Characteristics of U.K. Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 27-57, July.
- Hoesli, M. & Macgregor, B. & Matysiak, G. & Nanthakumaran, N., 1996. "The Short Term Inflation Hedging Characteristics of UK Real Estate," Papers 96.15, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, Universite de Geneve-.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Gibbons, Michael R., 1982. "Inflation, real returns and capital investment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 297-323.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1976. "Inflation Uncertainty and Expected Returns on Treasury Bills," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(3), pages 427-448, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:04:n:01:2001:p:43-56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Secretary Office/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.