Inflation Risk Analysis of European Real Estate Securities
The focus of this paper is the analysis of the inflation risk of European real estate securities. Following both a causal and a final understanding of risk, the analysis is twofold: First, to examine the causal influence of inflation on short- and long-term asset returns, we employ different regression approaches based on the methodology of Fama/Schwert 1977. Hedging capacities against expected inflation are found only for German open-end funds. Furthermore, different shortfall risk measures are used to study whether an investment in European real estate securities protects against a negative real return at the end of a given investment period.
Volume (Year): 24 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurer, Raimond & Sebastian, Steffen, 1998. "Immobilienfonds und Immobilienaktiengesellschaften als finanzwirtschaftliche Substitute für Immobiliendirektanlagen," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 98-55, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Robert L. Winkler & Gary M. Roodman & Robert R. Britney, 1972. "The Determination of Partial Moments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(3), pages 290-296, November.
- Albrecht, Peter & Maurer, Raimond, 2000. "100% Aktien zur Altersvorsorge - Über die Langfristrisiken einer Aktienanlage," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 00-05, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Hoesli, Martin & MacGregor, Bryan D. & Matysiak, George & Nanthakumaran, Nanda, 1997. "The Short-Term Inflation-Hedging Characteristics of U.K. Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 27-57, July.
- Hoesli, M. & Macgregor, B. & Matysiak, G. & Nanthakumaran, N., 1996. "The Short Term Inflation Hedging Characteristics of UK Real Estate," Papers 96.15, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, Universite de Geneve-.
- Crocker H. Liu & David J. Hartzell & Martin E. Hoesli, 1997. "International Evidence on Real Estate Securities as an Inflation Hedge," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 193-221.
- Martin Hoesli, 1993. "International evidence on real estate securities as an inflation hedge," ERES eres1993_108, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Hoesli, M & MacGregor, B, 1997. "Inflation Hedging Versus Inflation Protection in the US and the UK," Papers 97.09, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, Universite de Geneve-.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Schwert, G. William, 1977. "Asset returns and inflation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 115-146, November.
- Bodie, Zvi, 1976. "Common Stocks as a Hedge against Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 459-470, May.
- Elizabeth Yobaccio & Jack H. Rubens & David C. Ketcham, 1995. "The Inflation-Hedging Properties of Risk Assets: The Case of REITs," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(3), pages 279-296.
- Richard Barkham & David Geltner, 1995. "Price Discovery in American and British Property Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 23(1), pages 21-44.
- Albrecht, Peter & Maurer, Raimond & Möller, Matthias, 1997. "Shortfall-Risiko/Excess-Chance-Entscheidungskalküle: Grundlagen und Beziehungen zum Bernoulli-Prinzip," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 97-17, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Johnson, Glenn L. & Reilly, Frank K. & Smith, Ralph E., 1971. "Individual Common Stocks as Inflation Hedges," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 1015-1024, June.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Gibbons, Michael R., 1984. "A comparison of inflation forecasts," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 327-348, May.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
- Peter C. Fishburn, 1984. "Foundations of Risk Measurement. I. Risk As Probable Loss," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(4), pages 396-406, April.
- Hoag, James W, 1980. " Towards Indices of Real Estate Value and Return," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 569-580, May.
- James G. March & Zur Shapira, 1987. "Managerial Perspectives on Risk and Risk Taking," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(11), pages 1404-1418, November.
- David Hartzell & John S. Hekman & Mike E. Miles, 1987. "Real Estate Returns and Inflation," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 15(1), pages 617-637. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:24:n:1:2002:p:47-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.