Efficiency of Government Social Spending in Croatia
This paper analyzes the relative efficiency of social spending and service delivery in Croatia by comparing social spending and key social (outcome) indicators in Croatia to those of comparator countries. The analysis finds evidence of significant inefficiencies in Croatia’s social spending, mainly related to inadequate cost recovery for health and education services, weaknesses in the financing mechanisms and institutional arrangements, weak competition in the provision of social services, and weaknesses in targeting benefits. The paper also identifies areas for cost recovery and reform.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Smiciklasova 21, 10000 Zagreb|
Web page: http://www.fintp.hr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victoria Gunnarsson & Sergio Lugaresi & Marijn Verhoeven, 2007. "The Health Sector in the Slovak Republic; Efficiency and Reform," IMF Working Papers 07/226, International Monetary Fund.
- COELLI, Tim & LEFEBVRE, Mathieu & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 2008. "Social protection performance in the European Union: comparison and convergence," CORE Discussion Papers 2008012, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Bernard Funck, 2003. "Expenditure Policies Toward EU Accession," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15173.
- Herrera, Santiago & Pang, Gaobo, 2005. "Efficiency of public spending in developing countries : an efficiency frontier approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3645, The World Bank.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2004. "Non-parametric Approaches to Education and Health Expenditure Efficiency in OECD Countries," Working Papers Department of Economics 2004/01, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Todd D. Mattina & Victoria Gunnarsson, 2007. "Budget Rigidity and Expenditure Efficiency in Slovenia," IMF Working Papers 07/131, International Monetary Fund.
- Afonso, António & Schuknecht, Ludger & Tanzi, Vito, 2006.
"Public sector efficiency: evidence for new EU member states and emerging markets,"
Working Paper Series
0581, European Central Bank.
- Antonio Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2010. "Public sector efficiency: evidence for new EU member states and emerging markets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(17), pages 2147-2164.
- António Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2006. "Public Sector Efficiency: Evidence for New EU Member States and Emerging Markets," Working Papers Department of Economics 2006/01, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Gupta, Sanjeev & Verhoeven, Marijn, 2001. "The efficiency of government expenditure: experiences from Africa," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 433-467, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipf:finteo:v:32:y:2008:i:3:p:289-320. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Fabris)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.